Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Did Lil Wayne's Verse On Drake's 'Light Up' Happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Did Lil Wayne's Verse On Drake's 'Light Up' Happen?

Lil Wayne unleashed a lyrical tirade on Drake's "Light Up," with the incarcerated rapper contributing a remix verse to the Jay-Z-featured track from behind bars. But how exactly did the collaboration come about?

According to footage provided to MTV News by DJ Scoob Doo, Young Money cohort Mack Maine challenged his boss to drop some rhymes to the Tone Mason and Noah "40" Shebib banger. The scene will be featured on Scoob Doo's forthcoming DVD project featuring Lil Wayne, "The Nino Brown Story, Pt. 3."
    "You was supposed to have that third [verse]," Mack tells Wayne after the rapper called him. "Write something to that."
    Wayne and Mack were talking about Jay-Z's opening lines to the second verse, which Weezy admired.
    "Yeah, man, ain't nobody talking about what your boy talking about," he said of Jay. "That n---a is stupid [with his rhymes]. I said, 'Oooh, look at that.' "
    Mack and Wayne go back and forth, bantering about what the Cash Money Records superstar would sound like on the song.
    Then, Wayne finally responds. "Come up with a [verse]? Don't play with me, man," Weezy tells Mack over the phone. "Just drop that beat to a breakdown to where you can really hear what I'm saying. I'll write 100 bars to that. Don't play with me. Let me know when it's set up, and I'll do it.
    "It's over," he adds. "I got it already."
    The two then coordinate a time for Wayne to call an engineer to help clean up the rapper's vocals, which were slightly distorted, since he had to rap over the phone. The result was classic Wayne, chock-full of punch lines and illuminating lyrics.
    "I'm feeling like Elvis, 'Jailhouse Rock,' " Wayne raps via telephone. "I'm not Tupac, I'm the new 'Pac/ Behind bars, but the bars don't stop/ Recording over the phone, I hope the call don't drop/ Drizzy got the ball, I know the ball won't drop/ And I pray none of my kids ever wanna be Pop."
    As of press time, it's unknown if the "Light Up" remix will be included on the official Thank Me Later release or possibly a later deluxe version.

Click Link To Watch Video - How Did Lil Wayne's Verse On Drake's 'Light Up' Happen? Watch Now! - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

Re: How Did Lil Wayne's Verse On Drake's 'Light Up' Happen?

nice read. lol about what he said about jay-z's verse.

Comment

Nice man i am ready for Nino Brown pt.3 to drop

off topic: when does it suppose to come out (if there is a release date on it)?

Comment

Good find. I'm glad they got somebody to clean it up because the quality we have of it now is terrible lol

"Mind so sharp I fuck around and cut my head off"
        http://spontaneousoverflow.com/wordpress/?p=1673

Comment

nice, cant wait for nino 3 to come out

Throw dirt on me, and grow a wild flower
          But it's fuck the world, get a child out her
          Yeah my life a bitch, but you know nothing 'bout her
          Been to Hell and back, I can show you vouchers

Comment

He seems so happy considering the circumstances

Comment

i love this shit, this is tru hip-hop. Hearin A Verse That Makes Yu Wanna Go in on the beat like that, aint nuttin like that feeling. Hold ya Head Tunchi, Then Hold The World.

Comment

amen. that shit was raw
                "painkillers gotta nigga bout to doze off..."

Comment

cant wait too hear this song in CDQ, daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungTune. View Post

Lil Wayne unleashed a lyrical tirade on Drake's "Light Up," with the incarcerated rapper contributing a remix verse to the Jay-Z-featured track from behind bars. But how exactly did the collaboration come about?

According to footage provided to MTV News by DJ Scoob Doo, Young Money cohort Mack Maine challenged his boss to drop some rhymes to the Tone Mason and Noah "40" Shebib banger. The scene will be featured on Scoob Doo's forthcoming DVD project featuring Lil Wayne, "The Nino Brown Story, Pt. 3."
                    "You was supposed to have that third [verse]," Mack tells Wayne after the rapper called him. "Write something to that."
                    Wayne and Mack were talking about Jay-Z's opening lines to the second verse, which Weezy admired.
                    "Yeah, man, ain't nobody talking about what your boy talking about," he said of Jay. "That n---a is stupid [with his rhymes]. I said, 'Oooh, look at that.' "
                    Mack and Wayne go back and forth, bantering about what the Cash Money Records superstar would sound like on the song.
                    Then, Wayne finally responds. "Come up with a [verse]? Don't play with me, man," Weezy tells Mack over the phone. "Just drop that beat to a breakdown to where you can really hear what I'm saying. I'll write 100 bars to that. Don't play with me. Let me know when it's set up, and I'll do it.
                    "It's over," he adds. "I got it already."
                    The two then coordinate a time for Wayne to call an engineer to help clean up the rapper's vocals, which were slightly distorted, since he had to rap over the phone. The result was classic Wayne, chock-full of punch lines and illuminating lyrics.
                    "I'm feeling like Elvis, 'Jailhouse Rock,' " Wayne raps via telephone. "I'm not Tupac, I'm the new 'Pac/ Behind bars, but the bars don't stop/ Recording over the phone, I hope the call don't drop/ Drizzy got the ball, I know the ball won't drop/ And I pray none of my kids ever wanna be Pop."
                    As of press time, it's unknown if the "Light Up" remix will be included on the official Thank Me Later release or possibly a later deluxe version.

Click Link To Watch Video - How Did Lil Wayne's Verse On Drake's 'Light Up' Happen? Watch Now! - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News

Comment

Originally posted by Raw_Tune View Post
                      Nice man i am ready for Nino Brown pt.3 to drop

off topic: when does it suppose to come out (if there is a release date on it)?

Comment

Originally posted by wolverinebball11 View Post
                        Good find. I'm glad they got somebody to clean it up because the quality we have of it now is terrible lol

Comment

Working...
                        X