• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil Wayne Helps Universal Lock Down Top 4 Spots On R&B/Hip-Hop Chart

Lil Wayne Helps Universal Lock Down Top Four Spots on R&B/Hip-Hop Chart

August 09, 2011
    By Silvio Pietroluongo, New York

Weeks after the streamlining of Universal Motown and Universal Republic into a single entity now known solely as Universal Republic, the rechristened label becomes the first record company to lock down the top four spots on Billboard's Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop airplay chart (to be released on Billboard.Biz on Thursday, Aug. 11) in nearly six years.

As it did a week ago, Universal Republic holds down positions 1 to 3, respectively, with "I'm On One" by DJ Khaled featuring Drake, Rick Ross & Lil Wayne (on We the Best/Young Money/Cash Money), "How to Love" by Lil Wayne (Cash Money) and "Motivation" by Kelly Rowland featuring Lil Wayne (Universal Motown). Jumping up 5-4 is Nicki Minaj with "Super Bass" (Young Money/Cash Money) -- which doesn't feature Wayne, but he's Minaj's mentor, frequent collaborator and, since Young Money is his label, basically her boss.

Hard to miss in that lineup is Lil Wayne's appearance on the top three tracks, a placement he's maintained for the past five weeks. He is the first act to appear on the top three titles in the history of the Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop chart, which dates back to 1993.

Though renamed and reconfigured, Universal Republic achieves its top four takedown without the aid of an artist roster merger as all of the aforementioned acts were part of the Universal Motown family and were promoted to R&B radio by what was previously known as Universal Motown Republic Group (UMRG).

Michael Horton, Sr. VP of Urban Promotion, Universal Republic, who also held that title for the Universal group pre-merger, states: "I take great pride in having reached this accomplishment. This was made possible through strategic planning, the dedication of my staff and the exceptional music of our gifted artists: Kelly Rowland, Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Drake and DJ Khaled."

Universal Republic hits a milestone last achieved at Mainstream R&B/Hip-Hop by the then Sony Urban Music group (SUM) which led the list on the chart dated Sept. 3, 2005 with "Like You" by Bow Wow Featuring Ciara (No. 1), Destiny Child's "Cater 2 U" (No. 2), Lyfe Jennings' "Must Be Nice" (No. 3) and "Let Me Hold You" by Bow Wow featuring Omarion. All four SUM tracks were on the Columbia imprint, which continues to hold the distinction as the only imprint to claim the top four titles on a weekly chart

Lil Wayne Helps Universal Lock Down Top Four Spots on R&B/Hip-Hop Chart | Billboard.biz

pretty crazy shit

Re: Lil Wayne Helps Universal Lock Down Top 4 Spots On R&B/Hip-Hop Chart

Good find

Comment

Thanks for that.
      Syrup, percocet, and an eighth a day will leave you broke, depressed, and emotionally vacant
      Despite how Lil' Wayne lives
      It's not conducive to being creative
      And I know cause he's my favorite
      And I know cause I was off that same mix
      Rationalize the shit that I'd try after I listen to "Dedication"
      But he's an alien
      I'd sip that shit
      Pass out or play PlayStation.

Comment

Yeah weezy be always on top
        Originally posted by Shake
        Why so negative all the time???

Comment

Originally posted by vocker View Post
          Yeah weezy be always on top
          belee dat playboi

Comment

Just 4?

Comment

Tunechi Tunechi Swagg

Comment

"She Will " will be #1 soon too! damn weezy killn em.
                Follow Me on Twitter @iAmQueHefner ---- I Follow back!

^^^^^^^This Wayne must come back

Comment

Wayne is killing it right now

Comment

nah he has no buzz. That kid...uh Tyler the Craftsman? has taken over. Or what about J. Cold? Yeah him too

What comes easy, won't Last. What Lasts won't come easy.

Comment

Working...
                    X