Soldier credits Lil Wayne for saving his life in Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldier credits Lil Wayne for saving his life in Afghanistan

A little cool article I saw, shows how much influence music can have over people. Be sick if Wayne saw this video and went and see the guy.

Video on the website to save people reading.

Soldier credits Lil Wayne song for saving his life in Afghanistan | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

LANETT, Ala. -- Two months into his first deployment, Private First Class Lander Chappell was clearing a road of IED's. He worked in concert with his battalion, to the rhythm of his favorite song.

"I play it all the time. And I sing it all the time. And the beat's always in my head," Lander said of Lil Wayne's song, "Tie My Hands."

It's a song he says saved his life.

"We were going to clear this road, and we had a thing that shoots grenades down the road. Pressure grenades to put pressure on the ground to blow any pressure plate IED's," Lander described. "We had a guy who was clearing. I guess he just missed it. And as I came up, I stepped to the right just a little bit and next thing I knew, I was in the air. I'm looking at the sky. I don't wanna look, I don't wanna look. At the same time, you really want to look because you just want to see. Make sure. But my leg, it was gone."

Lander's body was tensing up. He was losing blood and drifting in and out of consciousness.

A fellow soldier offered a life line.

"He was like, 'I got something for you,' " Lander recalled. "Sing your song. Sing your favorite song. Sing it, sing it, sing it."

And he sang.

"It got my mind off it and finally the medivac came. We were still singing. We get on to the medivac. It's one of the things I really appreciate him doing for me."

Lander believes the song and the soldier saved his life, allowing military doctors to save his badly damaged left leg. His right leg is now fitted with a prosthesis.

"I have my days where I'm down about it," Lander said. "But you know with my wife behind me, always pushing me, telling me that God has a reason, has a plan. I believe it. So we keep moving everyday."

Recently, that meant leaving Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and traveling home to Lanett, Alabama, where Lander was a star high school football player. The school retired his number and honored his sacrifice.

But the gesture that perhaps means the most was a call from his old coach while Lander was still hospitalized, offering him a job with the team whenever he decides he might want it.

"I just want to get better and go back to school," Lander said. "If I can stay in the Army, I would love to. But if I can't, I did what I had to do."

Lander is still doing what he has to do, including a recent surgery and daily therapy. And he's still singing his favorite song.

Lander recently posted this tweet on Twitter:

"Would like to thank Lil Wayne for making Tie My Hands. It kept me alive when I stepped on an IED in Afghanistan. That song is inspiration."
    Last edited by Kuzz; 12-24-2012, 05:09 AM.

Good read (y)
    Syrup, percocet, and an eighth a day will leave you broke, depressed, and emotionally vacant
    Despite how Lil' Wayne lives
    It's not conducive to being creative
    And I know cause he's my favorite
    And I know cause I was off that same mix
    Rationalize the shit that I'd try after I listen to "Dedication"
    But he's an alien
    I'd sip that shit
    Pass out or play PlayStation.

Comment

Now we have something to shove in a hater's face
      OVOXO-YMCMB

Comment

you think this would be motivation for wayne to never retire

Comment

This would be seriously dope of wayne saw this

Edit: great song btw!
          Last edited by Wayne_Fan_101; 12-21-2012, 12:15 PM.
          I could sell Sweet and Low to Sugar Ray Leonard!!!

Comment

Even though this is only about it being his favorite song and not so much the quality, it's a damn quality song. Either way it's motivational, and folks say he has none of those. HA!

Lil Wayne, Drake, Chance the Rapper, Skooly, Rich Homie Quan, 2 Chainz.

Comment

Originally posted by WeEeEeEzZzZyYy View Post
              you think this would be motivation for wayne to never retire
              Or make a deep track like that again.. Which I'm expecting soon since he was talking about making one in a recent interview.

Comment

this type of stuff is why wayne is my fav artist

Comment

Damn the haters are not going to like this one.
                  ---->

Love Women XO

(Artist)
                  The Weeknd - 33 Mill

I WENT FROM RED BARS, TO REP STARS.

Comment

Originally posted by Weezy_KB24 View Post
                    Or make a deep track like that again.. Which I'm expecting soon since he was talking about making one in a recent interview.
                    was he?

Comment

Originally posted by Weezy_KB24 View Post
                      What interview? Got a vid?

Comment

DAMN :O
                        Nice find
                        diz is CRAZY

REAL NIGGA WASSUP ?!?!

Comment

Working...
                        X