Lil Wayne Death Scare Sends Him Flying on Social 50 Chart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil Wayne Death Scare Sends Him Flying on Social 50 Chart

Lil Wayne soars on Billboard's Social 50 tally this week, ascending 19-2 and subsequently achieving his highest position to date after TMZ reported that the rap star was on his deathbed (March 15). He hasn't been in the top 10 since the tally dated Oct. 27, 2012.

The Social 50 chart ranks the most popular artists on YouTube, Vevo, Facebook, Twitter, SoundCloud, Wikipedia, Myspace and Instagram. The chart's methodology blends weekly additions of friends/fans/followers along with artist pageviews, song plays and reactions.

After TMZ reported that the rapper was on the verge of death at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles on Friday, March 15, the social universe exploded. That report was soon refuted on Twitter by Young Money Entertainment co-founder and Wayne's longtime friend Mack Maine, and then Lil Wayne's own Twitter account. The series of events created an immense surge of social media activity.

On March 15, the amount of daily mentions of Lil Wayne on Twitter increased 1,360% to 771,000 as reports of his condition took the social web by storm, according to Topsy Analytics.

A few hours after TMZ first reported Lil Wayne was in "critical condition," Wayne's Twitter account put fears to rest by tweeting "I'm good everybody. Thx for the prayers and love" at 6:28 p.m. PST. Wayne's Tweet garnered more than twenty times the average number of retweets his previous 10 updates had earned: it was retweeted 194,000 times.

Lil Wayne didn't post any news regarding the incident on his Facebook page, but conversation about the artist still soared on the platform the night of the 15th. That day, 541,000 individuals talked about or engaged with updates about the artist -- a 57% increase over the prior seven days, according to Next Big Sound.

However, the news event did not trigger a gain for Lil Wayne's album sales in the week ending March 17. His combined 10 studio albums (including a collaborations set with Birdman) sold just over 6,000 for the week -- a decline of 6% compared to the week previous, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Billboard - News - Lil Wayne Death Scare Sends Him Flying on Social 50 Chart

Promotion for IANAHB2 nigga

Comment

They say this seizure situation was done to make up to his European fans and as promotion for his album =/

Comment

Originally posted by YMCMB357 View Post
        They say this seizure situation was done to make up to his European fans and as promotion for his album =/
        if that was the case then why would the hospital agree to keeping him in there for 6 days.

Comment

i think wayne had a REAL seizure but it wasn't as bad as tmz reported, so wayne used it in a positive way to promote his album
          #billionaireminds

Comment

only 6000 albums bought last week?
            that's roughly 1 out of 50,000 people that bought one...

so that would be 10 people in my city, and I didn't buy shit.
            .................... ....................

Comment

Originally posted by Flame Beats View Post

What?

Comment

Originally posted by Flame Beats View Post

Originally posted by spennyj69 View Post
                What?

Comment

Gawd damn...
                  Originally posted by Shake
                  Why so negative all the time???

Comment

Working...
                  X