Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Education on WEEZY2002-2004 (Gillie The Kid and his influence) Carter chronicles pt.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Education on WEEZY2002-2004 (Gillie The Kid and his influence) Carter chronicles pt.1

I Like to think of Wayne as three different artist. Braids Wayne, Short Dreads Wayne, and Long Dreads Wayne because it seemed his style changed with each image change. Around the release of Lights Out (it was the next album after The Hot Boys broke up and was suppose to cripple the label), Wayne started to be pushed as a mega star in waiting. Alot of people laughed at the idea of the �wobbaly wobbaly� Wayne actually crossing over as a headlining rapper. Maybe that is why around this time Wayne started to abandon the style that made him famous. In fact, he started to abandon much of that distinct New Orleans sound that had him slurring certain words and having a melody. In fact, Wayne started sounding like a New York rapper. By the time 500 Degrees was to be released he started dressing like one too. Gone was the braids and soldier rags and bandannas with a white tee. Now he was sporting low fitted hats and hoodies. He got more tats including the infamous tear drop and geared up for his ascent into the mainstream. His single �Way of Life� was suppose to be his crossover track, and although it got some plays it really never caught on.

Although his album did not become the success that Baby envisioned, something else was taking place behind the scenes. Wayne was starting to develop a cult like following on the mixtape circuit. He formed a side group with Squad Up and began releasing mixtape after mixtape. This was also around the time he stopped writing lyrics on paper and begin �freestyling�. It was an obvious ode to Jay Z, whom Wayne admitted was one of his idols. You could see the style change, but when listening to the mixtapes you actually started to hear the difference in quality as well. Wayne was dropping some fire. To a strong extent, much of this is owed to Gillie Da Kid, who helped to influence the way Wayne recorded in the booth. Much has been made of the beef with Gillie and Wayne but factually speaking, Gillie NEVER ghostwrote for Wayne�.Gillie has even admitted that. What Gillie did do was mold Waynes delivery. You started to hear more Philly talk like �boi� instead of boy.

While this could have been a terrible move by an obvious southern rapper trying to bite a style, Wayne actually did something ingenious. He kept much of his flavor (his trademark laughing on tracks as well as oddball references and comedy) and merged it with what Gillie was teaching him. This new style, which still sounded very original on wax, was fresh air to this listener. I though roughly would enjoy each mixtape Lil Wayne was releasing during this time. The Prefix, Suffix, and dozens of Squad Up mixtapes got heavy rotation for me even though Lil Wayne was still overlooked mainstream wise. Lil Wayne begin an assult on the Mixtape market and helped to restart its popularity. His campaign catapulted his career. He was looking to branch out and Dear Summer was a perfect example of what he was capable of doing

1. Clear imagery of what Wayne was looking to do to the mainstream

Quote:
    Kickin rocks on the block tellin all the old g�s
    I be coming for your spot when you�re not looking
    His first single was The Block is Hot. Wayne was moving off the block, and looking to pass the OG�s (Jay, Nas, Big, Pac, etc)

2. Good story telling, metaphors, and rhyme scheme

Quote:
    Hot cooking momma got it on the kitchen table
    I thank God we were always able to
    Get the leather couch, big screen, cable too
    Nintendo when good grades came through
    Then the cooked k�s came through
    Some soft some stepped on but we kept on
    And I slept with the work plenty nights thought I heard
    niggas coming thought I saw the cop lights but
    I was dreaming, then I woke, the junkies was still feenin
    and I had coke so I had hope u may say that is wrong
    But I ain�t talkin to ya child I�m talkin to this song
    I�m just doing the walk down memory lane
    If I crash just pick up my brain
    He understood the construction of a metaphor and when to end it and how it is received by the listener. He didn�t lay it on thick with nonsense�he was clear, concise, but effective.

3. Distancing himself from the Hot Boys

Quote:
    And I whip through the state like I whip through the Yay
    Show ya how to take 4 and get 8
    And it don�t take 4 niggas to get straight
    The only hot boy eating off this plate
    He was now the clear bread earner on Cash Money�and doing it without the other 3 established artist backing him.

Listen to Moment of Clarity Freestyle, or Dear Summer Freestyle, or U Dont Know freestyle, or 93 94 Baby

or Just cop the Suffix and Prefix. Lil Wayne was focused and wanted to be known as a dude who could spit with the best of them. After hundreds of unreleased material in 2-3 years Wayne was proving that. He had talent, could flow, could drop a punchline, could ride with an extended metaphor, and had fun with the beat. But as of now, he was still mostly just known as a mixtape rapper. Wayne, like Vince carter, had moments (like dunks) of greatness and notoriety, but he didnt have any albums (playoff moments?) that counted towards that reputation he wanted. His next album, Tha Carter was going to be the bridge the mainstream success without the Hot Boys. Baby counted on it. Wayne counted on it. Slim counted on it. Wayne was markted as a new artist. A lot of people even though the Carter was his debut album. Even with an interesting marketing blitz and a hot single produced by Manny Fresh on the way, the hype for Wayne and his new album had to be credited towards DJ Drama. The Dedication Mixtape will forever be oneof the most important (and popular) Mixtapes in Hip Hop history.
    http://www.lilwaynehq.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
    ����

Re: Education on WEEZY2002-2004 (Gillie The Kid and his influence) Carter chronicles

part2 coming soon if you guys are interested! Tell me if want to hear more about the education of Weezy

Comment

Re: Education on WEEZY2002-2004 (Gillie The Kid and his influence) Carter chronicles

I want interesting tbh.

Comment

Amazing! you have real talent as a writer

Comment

good thread

Comment

Would like to read the rest of this

Comment

damn bro nice job. great writing talent

Comment

I thought I would see a link to the source of an article at the end. You're real good bro, and I 'd love a part 2.
                "Armed and dangerous, rich and famous, young and restless
                Guns and stretchers
                Cristal and dubs for breakfast
                I just got one suggestion - none should test him
                'Cause cuz get hectic; send one through your sons intestines
                Glocks knock lungs from chests, you get the portrait?
                Bodies piled up on porches, it won't be gorgeous"

Comment

ready for the rest of itt=]
                  "Nothings promised but a graveyard cant
                  see myself dyin broke Ray Charles"

"Your flow never wet, like grandma pussy, i'm always good, like grandma cookies"

Comment

I would not be surprised if this was Dwayne carter who just made a user account lol. Good read man keep going.

Comment

Hmmm....tl;dr

Comment

Originally posted by marcusgettin View Post
                        I Like to think of Wayne as three different artist. Braids Wayne, Short Dreads Wayne, and Long Dreads Wayne because it seemed his style changed with each image change. Around the release of Lights Out (it was the next album after The Hot Boys broke up and was suppose to cripple the label), Wayne started to be pushed as a mega star in waiting. Alot of people laughed at the idea of the “wobbaly wobbaly” Wayne actually crossing over as a headlining rapper. Maybe that is why around this time Wayne started to abandon the style that made him famous. In fact, he started to abandon much of that distinct New Orleans sound that had him slurring certain words and having a melody. In fact, Wayne started sounding like a New York rapper. By the time 500 Degrees was to be released he started dressing like one too. Gone was the braids and soldier rags and bandannas with a white tee. Now he was sporting low fitted hats and hoodies. He got more tats including the infamous tear drop and geared up for his ascent into the mainstream. His single “Way of Life” was suppose to be his crossover track, and although it got some plays it really never caught on.

Although his album did not become the success that Baby envisioned, something else was taking place behind the scenes. Wayne was starting to develop a cult like following on the mixtape circuit. He formed a side group with Squad Up and began releasing mixtape after mixtape. This was also around the time he stopped writing lyrics on paper and begin “freestyling”. It was an obvious ode to Jay Z, whom Wayne admitted was one of his idols. You could see the style change, but when listening to the mixtapes you actually started to hear the difference in quality as well. Wayne was dropping some fire. To a strong extent, much of this is owed to Gillie Da Kid, who helped to influence the way Wayne recorded in the booth. Much has been made of the beef with Gillie and Wayne but factually speaking, Gillie NEVER ghostwrote for Wayne….Gillie has even admitted that. What Gillie did do was mold Waynes delivery. You started to hear more Philly talk like “boi” instead of boy.

While this could have been a terrible move by an obvious southern rapper trying to bite a style, Wayne actually did something ingenious. He kept much of his flavor (his trademark laughing on tracks as well as oddball references and comedy) and merged it with what Gillie was teaching him. This new style, which still sounded very original on wax, was fresh air to this listener. I though roughly would enjoy each mixtape Lil Wayne was releasing during this time. The Prefix, Suffix, and dozens of Squad Up mixtapes got heavy rotation for me even though Lil Wayne was still overlooked mainstream wise. Lil Wayne begin an assult on the Mixtape market and helped to restart its popularity. His campaign catapulted his career. He was looking to branch out and Dear Summer was a perfect example of what he was capable of doing

1. Clear imagery of what Wayne was looking to do to the mainstream

Quote:
                        Kickin rocks on the block tellin all the old g’s
                        I be coming for your spot when you’re not looking
                        His first single was The Block is Hot. Wayne was moving off the block, and looking to pass the OG’s (Jay, Nas, Big, Pac, etc)

2. Good story telling, metaphors, and rhyme scheme

Quote:
                        Hot cooking momma got it on the kitchen table
                        I thank God we were always able to
                        Get the leather couch, big screen, cable too
                        Nintendo when good grades came through
                        Then the cooked k’s came through
                        Some soft some stepped on but we kept on
                        And I slept with the work plenty nights thought I heard
                        niggas coming thought I saw the cop lights but
                        I was dreaming, then I woke, the junkies was still feenin
                        and I had coke so I had hope u may say that is wrong
                        But I ain’t talkin to ya child I’m talkin to this song
                        I’m just doing the walk down memory lane
                        If I crash just pick up my brain
                        He understood the construction of a metaphor and when to end it and how it is received by the listener. He didn’t lay it on thick with nonsense…he was clear, concise, but effective.

3. Distancing himself from the Hot Boys

Quote:
                        And I whip through the state like I whip through the Yay
                        Show ya how to take 4 and get 8
                        And it don’t take 4 niggas to get straight
                        The only hot boy eating off this plate
                        He was now the clear bread earner on Cash Money…and doing it without the other 3 established artist backing him.

Listen to Moment of Clarity Freestyle, or Dear Summer Freestyle, or U Dont Know freestyle, or 93 94 Baby

or Just cop the Suffix and Prefix. Lil Wayne was focused and wanted to be known as a dude who could spit with the best of them. After hundreds of unreleased material in 2-3 years Wayne was proving that. He had talent, could flow, could drop a punchline, could ride with an extended metaphor, and had fun with the beat. But as of now, he was still mostly just known as a mixtape rapper. Wayne, like Vince carter, had moments (like dunks) of greatness and notoriety, but he didnt have any albums (playoff moments?) that counted towards that reputation he wanted. His next album, Tha Carter was going to be the bridge the mainstream success without the Hot Boys. Baby counted on it. Wayne counted on it. Slim counted on it. Wayne was markted as a new artist. A lot of people even though the Carter was his debut album. Even with an interesting marketing blitz and a hot single produced by Manny Fresh on the way, the hype for Wayne and his new album had to be credited towards DJ Drama. The Dedication Mixtape will forever be oneof the most important (and popular) Mixtapes in Hip Hop history.
                        http://www.lilwaynehq.com/forums/ima...lies/smile.gif
                        ———–
                        Everything you said I kinda agree with and already knew, but the one thing you got wrong is "the infamous tear drop" Lil Wayne got those tattoo tears in year 2000...FACT!

Lil Wayne/Cash Money also had an influence on Gillie. Gillie used to wear souljah rags and say "whoadie"
                        Last edited by ImTrill; 12-06-2010, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X