Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billboard 28 Black Music Milestones: Lil Wayne

28 Black Music Milestones: Lil Wayne Launches 'Tha Carter' Series

To help celebrate the many contributions Black musicians have made throughout the years, Billboard.com's The Juice is rolling out a list of 28 milestones in black music history. Visit The Juice daily and help us pay homage to some of the heroes that have made music what it is today.

Lil Wayne has been a hip-hop phenom since age 11 when he signed to Cash Money Records, but his biggest success to date undoubtedly came after he reached adulthood with the launch of his "Tha Carter" series which kicked off in 2004. "Tha Carter" spawned the hit single "Go DJ;" 2005's "Tha Carter II" had the hit single "Fireman;" and "Tha Carter III" was released in 2008 and featured a slew of smashes including "Lollipop," "Milli" and "Got Money."

Most specifically, "Tha Carter III" is known as the biggest album of Wayne's career to date. Selling a million copies in its debut week, it became the 16th album since Nielsen Soundscan began tracking sales in 1991 to sell a million units in a week. Thus, Lil Wayne became one of only three rappers to sell a million copies of an album in a week, after only Eminem ("The Marshall Mathers LP") and 50 Cent ("The Massacre").

Wayne also leads all hip-hop/rap artists with 66 career Billboard Hot 100 entries, a sum that ranks him eighth in the chart's half-century history. And as if that weren't enough, just last year he became the first artist in 15 years to a release a No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart while serving a jail sentence after his "I Am Not A Human Being" spent a week in the top slot.

http://www.billboard.com/column/the-...05032722.story
    Last edited by alex.tampa; 02-12-2011, 05:03 AM.

"Love me or hate me, I promise it won�t make or break me"

Re: Billboard 28 Black Music Milestones: Lil Wayne

Most specifically, "Tha Carter III" is known as the biggest album of Wayne's career to date. Selling a million copies in its debut week, it became the 16th album since Nielsen Soundscan began tracking sales in 1991 to sell a million units in a week. Thus, Lil Wayne became one of only three rappers to sell a million copies of an album in a week, after only Eminem ("The Marshall Mathers LP") and 50 Cent ("The Massacre").

Wayne also leads all hip-hop/rap artists with 66 career Billboard Hot 100 entries, a sum that ranks him eighth in the chart's half-century history. And as if that weren't enough, just last year he became the first artist in 15 years to a release a No. 1 album on the Billboard 200 chart while serving a jail sentence after his "I Am Not A Human Being" spent a week in the top slot.
    Weezy is running shit.

Nice find bro.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungTune. View Post
      Weezy is running shit.
      Of course.

Comment

Originally posted by alex.tampa View Post

Wayne also leads all hip-hop/rap artists with 66 career Billboard Hot 100 entries, a sum that ranks him eighth in the chart's half-century history.

probably because of all the features, but still great as fuck though

Comment

Nice. No link tho...awesome.

What comes easy, won't Last. What Lasts won't come easy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisBLawyer View Post
            Nice. No link tho...awesome.
            Billboard.com

Comment

Wait, is he ranked as number 28, or number 1?

Comment

Originally posted by alex.tampa View Post
                28 Black Music Milestones: Lil Wayne Launches 'Tha Carter' Series

To help celebrate the many contributions Black musicians have made throughout the years, Billboard.com's The Juice is rolling out a list of 28 milestones in black music history. Visit The Juice daily and help us pay homage to some of the heroes that have made music what it is today.

Lil Wayne has been a hip-hop phenom since age 11 when he signed to Cash Money Records, but his biggest success to date undoubtedly came after he reached adulthood with the launch of his "Tha Carter" series which kicked off in 2004. "Tha Carter" spawned the hit single "Go DJ;" 2005's "Tha Carter II" had the hit single "Fireman;" and "Tha Carter III" was released in 2008 and featured a slew of smashes including "Lollipop," "Milli" and "Got Money."

1st - hiphop/rap

8th - overall

Comment

Originally posted by Kronnick View Post
                  1st - hiphop/rap

8th - overall
                  wow thats amazing. Really.

What comes easy, won't Last. What Lasts won't come easy.

Comment

Never mind. Had to re-read what was being said.
                    Last edited by YMCMFAN; 02-12-2011, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronnick View Post
                      1st - hiphop/rap

8th - overall
                      Originally posted by ChrisBLawyer View Post
                      wow thats amazing. Really.
                      this is the closest info i could find...

Most Hot 100 hits by artist
                      No. of Hits
                      108 – Elvis Presley – 1st Appearance: "Hard Headed Woman" – (Peak: No. 4; 195)
                      89 – James Brown – 1st Appearance: "Try Me" – (Peak: No. 48; 195)
                      73 – Aretha Franklin – 1st Appearance: "Won't Be Long" – (Peak: No. 76; 1961)
                      73 – Ray Charles – 1st Appearance: "Rockhouse (Part 2)" – (Peak: No. 79; 195)
                      72 – The Beatles – 1st Appearance: "I Want to Hold Your Hand" – (Peak: No. 1; 1964)
                      67 – Elton John – 1st Appearance: "Border Song" – (Peak: No. 92; 1970)
                      ***66? - Lil' Wayne?
                      63 – Stevie Wonder – 1st Appearance: "Fingertips" – (Peak: No. 1; 1963)
                      57 – The Rolling Stones – 1st Appearance: "Not Fade Away" – (Peak: No. 48; 1964)
                      56 – Marvin Gaye – 1st Appearance: "Stubborn Kind of Fellow" – (Peak: No. 46; 1962)
                      56 – Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons – 1st Appearance: "Sherry" – (Peak: No. 1; 1962)
                      56 – Dionne Warwick – 1st Appearance: "Don't Make Me Over" – (Peak: No. 21; 1963)

Billboard Hot 100 50th Anniversary Charts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so as far as i see there, he'd be 7th. but they're prob missing someone...

might be, m.j (+his J-5 hits).
                      Last edited by Kronnick; 02-12-2011, 03:46 AM. Reason: clarity

Comment

@above: where is lil wayne 66?

Comment

Working...
                        X