andrew nos gets it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• andrew nos gets it.

I�m sure I�ve written about this before but I�ll say it again anyway. The big difference between No Ceilings Wayne and Sqad/Drought/Dedication Wayne and No Ceilings Wayne lied in his selection and his construction. NC was just straight up rappy raps over the hits of the day, he ran down the Billboard rap/R&B charts and then rapped about whatever over those tracks and echoing their hooks syllable for syllable, subbing in some cutesy joke about being high or being a blood. But in the S/D/D era he was choosing more obscure tracks (Little Brother! Youngbloodz!) with some degree of taste and using their instrumentals as canvases for entirely different songs with new choruses and concepts. The best example of this in the Wayne catalog, and maybe in all of rap ever, was �Sky Is The Limit� where he jacked a flop ass Mike Jones record and turned it into a legitimate 15-million Youtube views hit.

In the past Lil B has shown a similar knack for putting a personal touch on instrumentals. This approach defined the Based Freestyle era and the even more recent Bitch Mob (which featured such an obscure and tastefully selection of other people�s beats that most listeners probably didn�t even realize that they were other people�s beats). But eventually he realized what Wayne should - there are so many incredible producers as there are right now literally giving away beats for free there�s no excuse for just grabbing hit instrumentals and rapping over them.

And yet that�s exactly what Wayne and B do with their long awaited (three weeks Twitter time) collab. Two of my favorite rappers of doing karaoke over a Waka Flocka hit. It�s not bad, it�s just rapping from rappers who are capable of so much more than just rapping. Wayne continues his boring ass emotionless phase, delivering one dimensional punchlines (I�m higher than a bitch feel like I climbed a fucking mountain; swagger on steriods� Canseco, Jose) and then audibly cheesing like he just said something incredibly clever. I can�t be the only person who is starting to hate this guy.

At least you can tell B was super happy to just be in the studio with his hero, which is the epitome of #based. Wayne doesn�t even offer us any joy. But dude has reached that rare rap star plateau, previously occupied by Jay-Z and Jay-Z only, where listeners are completely unable to think critically about his work. As if we should be honored that he even put music in our ears. Thank you Wayne God.

from tumblinerb.com

andrew nos probably gets wayne.
    more than any other critic out. so his shit.
    is always a good read. and this touches.
    on waynes problem. and the problem with his fanbase.

Re: andrew nos gets it.

cool dude

"And I swear to everything, when I leave this earth, It's gonna be on both feet, never knees in this dirt"

Comment

Working...
    X