X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WeEeEeEzZzZyYy View Post
    well what about his flow on the d4 song with j cole

that was an old beat and to me it sounded like "new wayne" on it
    Actually on that verse, Wayne was going really ham...but people just underestimated his verse coz Cole was on it..
    Originally posted by Shake
    Why so negative all the time???

Comment

Originally posted by Vocker View Post
      Actually on that verse, Wayne was going really ham...but people just underestimated his verse coz Cole was on it..
      that was a real shame too, because weezy had a sick verse. i hate j cole tho. i think he's the most overrated rapper in a long time. he was so poised to be the "next big thing" - i hate that. he was practically a legend before his debut album even dropped, just because of a few songs and mainly because of all the big co-signs.... but when his album actually came out it was a very sobering moment; people were UNIMPRESSED. he is the definition of a bland rapper IMO. then again, most rappers seem bland, because in the last seven years or so weezy has completely ruined me for other rappers. even his sub-par material is more enjoyable and interesting than the majority of his peers. kendrick is def a good prospect, but he's a lil overrated too. and his voice is mad annoying on hooks when he sounds all hipstery and whiny. ughhh. it's like outkast hooks gone wrong.
      Last edited by no_tom&jerry; 09-13-2013, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by no_tom&jerry View Post
        that was a real shame too, because weezy had a sick verse. i hate j cole tho. i think he's the most overrated rapper in a long time. he was so poised to be the "next big thing" - i hate that. he was practically a legend before his debut album even dropped, just because of a few songs and mainly because of all the big co-signs.... but when his album actually came out it was a very sobering moment; people were UNIMPRESSED. he is the definition of a bland rapper IMO. then again, most rappers seem bland, because in the last seven years or so weezy has completely ruined me for other rappers. even his sub-par material is more enjoyable and interesting than the majority of his peers. kendrick is def a good prospect, but he's a lil overrated too. and his voice is mad annoying on hooks when he sounds all hipstery and whiny. ughhh. it's like outkast hooks gone wrong.
        Cole is dope tho....

and his verse was dope on that too
        Originally posted by Shake
        Why so negative all the time???

Comment

Lol I know exactly what you mean.

I feel Cole is overrated too, but he did snap on Green Ranger
          "Armed and dangerous, rich and famous, young and restless
          Guns and stretchers
          Cristal and dubs for breakfast
          I just got one suggestion - none should test him
          'Cause cuz get hectic; send one through your sons intestines
          Glocks knock lungs from chests, you get the portrait?
          Bodies piled up on porches, it won't be gorgeous"

Comment

i def understand what you're saying, but he really didn't slow anything down after ianahb1, sorry 4 the wait and c4 (my 3 least favorite weezy efforts). d4 and ianahb2 he was rhyming pretty fast (especially d4) and just tossing out some crazy wordplay - unfortunately a lot of it was too sex obsessed and a little childish at times. still enjoyed d4 tho. ianahb2 not as much, just a few key trax.

also, i don't think the "i feel like dying" period was diluted in any way. that was c3 sessions, arguably his lyrical peak! i think he went slow on that beat, because he was just fucked up on syrup and weed and decided to do something a little unusual and chill (kind of like he did on lollipop) because feeling it at that moment. it wasn't even really a rap song - again, like lollipop. he was all about transcending rap at that time, yet he was still pumping out some of the best rap that's ever been recorded IMO - and i would guess in the opinion of most of yall here on the forum.

wayne has like two different types of speed, cos he never really raps fast. some stuff is more pacey than others, but its hardly ever what we'd call fast rapping.

its more about the pace of his thoughts, when hes engaged, you get something like d5, where its almost a fully formed thought in each bar, and maybe the same thought extending through a few bars, or hes layered it in metaphors,

and w that, theres more of a nimble approach to his flow, when hes on his game.

on his more casual efforts, the lackluster stuff, the combination of poor beats, and him pretty much pandering to a mainstream audience,

is what leads him to those slower more blunted flows, thats when it gets super boring and formulaic w him.

hes rappign slower, and since hes having to slow his thought process down, in order.. to almost translate.. what hes thinking to a larger group of people.. its him having to dilute his style and content, then his flow starts going downhill from there.

loool its funny, cos to me i feel like dying is forever connected to lollipop for the same reason.

and when i think about those two songs, and they impact they had, and moreover the crossover impact they had,

is when i start looking at him slowing down his style, for me, wayne had to be cool to white peple, way before lollipop,

cos that wouldve just made him bubblegum cool.

but i feel like dying, had every indie kid in the world bumping wayne, thinking they were cool cos they were listening to some druggie ass wayne.

its almost like wayne approached white people from the indie underground, and the mainstream bubblegum crowd, at the same time,

after those songs took off, i think there was a discernible slowing down period w his raps

Comment

Didn't read

Comment

I am gonna warn yall upfront, this is a longggggg post so just skip it if u aint into reading a novel right now lol. i just have so much to say on this topic. here goes:

I feel like wayne would never have slowed/dumbed down his flow for anyone... If they get it, they get it; if not, fuck 'em. I could be totally wrong tho. Funny thing about wayne is that when I listen to c3 (which is prob my fave weezy album -- again, thats album, not mixtape) I hear some corny ass lines and the critics fucking loved it! Lol. Fucking idiots. I think weezy's style was a fad to a lot of people except us diehards.

Think about what critics and haters would say these days if wayne said "fly, go hard like geese erection" or "I'm not hot, I'm sauna" or how about:

"Sittin in a Caddy, right like Betty
                Floatin up the aisle like the bride and her daddy
                Hip-hop addict, hip-hop addict
                Man I swear I'm on top like the attic
                Yeah bitch, I be with my dog like Shaggy
                And we stay clean but get dirty like Harry
                Flyer than bluebirds, cardinals and canaries
                Fuck me, I'm all about "Oui" like Paris"

If that part above was delivered with his modern flow over a trap beat people would rip his ass apart over it!! It looks fucking retarded on paper too, lol, but to us it's dope because his words are clever and hilarious and his delivery is amazing. The reverse is too true, because look at the lyrics to cream from d5... He has some lines like "I'm deafer than leppard" and "catch a skateboard to the jaw, I'm in that pussy she in awe" that sound ill over that beat but might sound corny over a more modern beat with his other style. It's really weird!

C3 to me was all about wayne being high and having fun but also flexing his lyrical muscle on tracks like a milli, 3 peat, tie my hands, dr carter, etc. He really became a truly original artist and phenomenon on C3, whereas on C2 (amazing as it was) he was still an earthling lol. A dope earthling mind you! But he had not taken off into orbit just yet, which came with DD3 and C3 sessions and ended with early C4/rebirth sessions (told y'all, original not a human being, no quitter, yeahhh, etc.) IMO his peak goes like this:

C2/D2 - untouchable budding genius hungry with something to prove. Makes claim "best rapper alive" and starts to turn heads.

DD3/C3 sessions - proves that he is, in fact, the best rapper alive by becoming the alien genius, still grounded with hard dope rhymes.

C3 album/rebirth/D3/early C4 sessions - he no longer needs to prove himself, he is now on top and has a little fun with it. Wants to be a pop star but the beast is still there on demand, arguably better than its ever been (demolition, pussy nigga freestyle, told y'all, no quitter, yeahhh, etc). He can toggle between far out trippy pop star and best rapper alive at will. Amazing time. Random output. End of his peak tho.

no ceilings/IANAHB- beginning of the decline. No ceilings was his last truly amazing moment, but even on that mixtape he was starting to try out the new style (less free associative, more direct & last word rhyming instead of complex multi syllabic rhymes) which would bury him on IANAHB. That album sounded ok at the time because it was new weezy product and it had some good punch lines, but it didn't age well, which has become the main problem with his post prison work. It started that boring C4 flow and corny hashtag rhyming.

Sorry for the ridiculously long post. Just got carried away.
                Last edited by no_tom&jerry; 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM.

Comment

lol whats funny to me, is that anyway you slice it, what wayne does over a trap beat, or any beat.

is still 90 percent better.. than whatever these other trap dudes are saying on them, at least when it comes to pure rap.

if money on my mind came out in 2012, itd be the best trap song of the past 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by sealneaward View Post
                    Big K.R.I.T's beats are classic southern beats that he makes himself. His beats aren't trap at all.
                    Glad we're on the same page.
                    "Hoppin' off the boat, meetin' Papi at the docks. He tell me I'm gainin' weight, I tell him I'm gettin' paid."

Comment

Originally posted by mode View Post
                      lol whats funny to me, is that anyway you slice it, what wayne does over a trap beat, or any beat.

is still 90 percent better.. than whatever these other trap dudes are saying on them, at least when it comes to pure rap.

if money on my mind came out in 2012, itd be the best trap song of the past 5 years.
                      Lol agree 100%

Comment

There were not many pussy lines compared to the last few mixtapes. He killed these beats!

Comment

Yeah he toned down the sex talk and when he did do it, at least it was more bearable

Comment

Working...
                          X