pick up your heart -- WTF?! / review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pick up your heart -- WTF?! / review

So I listened to Fwa in dribs and drabs over the last few days but I avoided the final track on purpose. I just wanted to save something for later, ya dig?? Finally just listened to the album straight through -- "pick up your heart" is fucking AMAZING. Why is there not more love for this track??? It's almost like "adore" by Prince..... but in Wayne's world! It's absolutely epic.. The ins and outs, almost kanye-progressive. Makes me feel like I'm on a tropical island thinking about the streets.

I was loving fwa already in a big big way, but the finale has totally changed the vibe for the better. What an album. Seriously. Wayne went above and beyond. I think a lot of us were expecting something a little more mixtape oriented, but what we got was a very well polished, hooky, thoughtful wayne album. He hasn't put this much thought into something in a very long time. S4TW2 was his return to being a great rapper, but this is the culmination of those efforts. Sure, there are some parts where it isn't perfect, but wayne projects have never been perfect. The ebbs and flows of this album are what make it great.

Usually wayne albums sound like they are made by committee, but this one sounds like wayne had some involvement artistically. I am very pleasantly surprised by songs like glory, London roads, but especially post bail ballin all the way to the end. Despite a couple of clumsy features getting in the way on this run of tracks, wayne is rapping so hard and so true. He captures that laid back c2/c3 era vibe that I love so much.

Some of the flows and lyrics earlier in the album fall into his new school approach, which I'm STILL trying to warm to (he's dead, namely) but doubt I ever will. I like my wayne fiery, but chill with his beat selection, and clever as fuck. Fortunately for us, wayne delivers big time in these areas on FWA. I was afraid S4TW2 was a fluke, but I'm happy to learn that it wasn't. To paraphrase wayne: he is getting better with time.

"I don't wanna do it no more. But I gotta get my paper, baby.
    Perfect attendance on the block. I'm boomin'. Yeah.
    When it's cold. When it's rainy. When it's muggy.
    When it's hot. When it's humid. OH!
    I walk into the corner store, feelin' like a king.
    World on my back. Shit feel like a mink.
    Mad as a motherfucker. Dropped a pill down the sink.
    HOLD UP! WAIT!"

Culmination is right. I love how it closes the album. That epilogue/denouement monologue speech he concludes the track with is hella esoteric, but in a strange manner, it manages to translate to a coherent and comprehensive morale overall.

"I'm a pimp and the problem."

Comment

its an amazing album

"i dont wanna do it no more!" waynes harmonizing rapping singing... culmination like you said.
      Last edited by ChrisBLawyer; 07-08-2015, 12:32 AM.

What comes easy, won't Last. What Lasts won't come easy.

Comment

My favorite song on the album his wordplay is incredible...Cool N Dre/Wayne tracks are always dope

Comment

these hoes fuck anybody, these hoes fuck anybody

Comment

The way he talks at the end sounds so wise

It's Tunechi Homie, Master Of Ceremonies.

Comment

Originally posted by no_tom&jerry View Post
              So I listened to Fwa in dribs and drabs over the last few days but I avoided the final track on purpose. I just wanted to save something for later, ya dig?? Finally just listened to the album straight through -- "pick up your heart" is fucking AMAZING. Why is there not more love for this track??? It's almost like "adore" by Prince..... but in Wayne's world! It's absolutely epic.. The ins and outs, almost kanye-progressive. Makes me feel like I'm on a tropical island thinking about the streets.

I was loving fwa already in a big big way, but the finale has totally changed the vibe for the better. What an album. Seriously. Wayne went above and beyond. I think a lot of us were expecting something a little more mixtape oriented, but what we got was a very well polished, hooky, thoughtful wayne album. He hasn't put this much thought into something in a very long time. S4TW2 was his return to being a great rapper, but this is the culmination of those efforts. Sure, there are some parts where it isn't perfect, but wayne projects have never been perfect. The ebbs and flows of this album are what make it great.

Usually wayne albums sound like they are made by committee, but this one sounds like wayne had some involvement artistically. I am very pleasantly surprised by songs like glory, London roads, but especially post bail ballin all the way to the end. Despite a couple of clumsy features getting in the way on this run of tracks, wayne is rapping so hard and so true. He captures that laid back c2/c3 era vibe that I love so much.

Some of the flows and lyrics earlier in the album fall into his new school approach, which I'm STILL trying to warm to (he's dead, namely) but doubt I ever will. I like my wayne fiery, but chill with his beat selection, and clever as fuck. Fortunately for us, wayne delivers big time in these areas on FWA. I was afraid S4TW2 was a fluke, but I'm happy to learn that it wasn't. To paraphrase wayne: he is getting better with time.
              what are you talking about?

everyone on LWHQ has said it's one of their fav songs and should be the next single etc.

Comment

why the reservation in liking hes dead? in parts the flows not at all so different from no quitter.

Comment

Originally posted by mode View Post
                  why the reservation in liking hes dead? in parts the flows not at all so different from no quitter.
                  i don't really hear it.. which lines? compare pls

Comment

Originally posted by spennyj69 View Post
                    My favorite song on the album his wordplay is incredible...Cool N Dre/Wayne tracks are always dope

Comment

Lyrically He's Dead is really really dope...

Lil Wayne, Drake, Chance the Rapper, Skooly, Rich Homie Quan, 2 Chainz.

Comment

Originally posted by no_tom&jerry View Post
                        i don't really hear it.. which lines? compare pls

we not one in the same.. etc etc from hes dead

ima riot insane, ima liion, my mane hangs down to my strangs

i stay dry when it rain... etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X