FWA theory - READ THIS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWA theory - READ THIS

IMO it took Wayne 4 years to get to the point where he was at before he went to prison.If FWA came out in 2011 instead of C4 � or even as C4 � it would�ve been a hit.It has all the qualities that people (including me) complained were missing from C4: it�s passionate, rhyme-oriented, heartfelt, narrative in places, hilarious in other places, creative�. It�s really the perfect balance. Imagine S4TW2 came out in place of S4TW pt.1 .... and imagine FWA was C4.There�s not a doubt in my mind Wayne would�ve been a sensation for anotherfew years.

Ironically, now that Wayne is �back� the world doesn�t really seem to want, or need him anymore.When an artist becomes so huge there comes a point where they either work to please the fans, themselves or the critics � but rarely all three. Wayne seems like he�s doing him and us, the fans� but he can�t really capture the critics anymore, which is sad to see, because you can tell that�s important to him.He is putting out legitimately HIGH QUALITY work these days, but everybody has latched onto their favorite version of Weezy (again, including me) and holds him to that particular standard.Even �I�m That Nigga� is more welcome to my ears than anything on IANAHB2 or most of C4, because it is creative and genuine.Speaking of this track, I almost see it as a sound collage or something.The production is very creative and trippy, very forward thinking (contrary to its detractors).Wayne sounds like he�s feeling it on every track and every single song seems like it truly belongs there; not like it was assigned to be there by Tez or whoever.This may be Wayne�s first true piece of untainted art. The fact that some can't see that is a shame.

It�s impossible to please everyone.

"or most of C4" u drunk?

Comment

Originally posted by Mbminas View Post
      "or most of C4" u drunk?
      yes most of C4. I know it’s cool to like C4 these days, but I don’t.For me, it was the opposite.I loved it when it came out, because my fandom clouded my judgment.As soon as I took it out of the player and threw on drought 3 or c2 or c3 or whatever, I very quickly realized how shitty C4 was.VERY quickly.

The intro is quite possibly the most boring piece of music wayne ever released.I think there’s maybe one or two good lines on it.Blunt blowin has a good hook I guess, but the verses sound like a high school kid wrote them in detention.Megaman was dope, but a little too much hashtag rap. Still one of the best on the album though.6’7 was sick. I liked nightmares from the bottom a lot too.

She Will was more Wayne phoning-it-in lyrics with a drake hook.How to hate had cool production, but the lyrics were lame.John was dope but needed lyrical work… and the list goes on.By the time It’s Good comes on and Weezy does that painful verse at the end, I am feeling so awkward for him.“It’s a game of chess (chest), you niggas think it’s cleavage” might be the most vacant wayne lyric ever.The jokes weren’t funny, the quasi-philosophical shit wasn’t clever or insightful… the whole thing was just bland.
      And BTW- So Special gets my vote for the worst Wayne song of all time (not counting mixtape songs, in which case his version of New Slaves would take the cake.
      The shit cake.)

I prefer D4 to C4, no joke. So FWA is light years ahead of C4 for me.I always knew it would be appreciated later on though.It was the reverse for me.

Comment

so special worse song lol, how about wowzers and my homies still and a lot more...

Comment

yes it is impossible to please everyone and there is also nothing you can do about it

Comment

critic culture is ridiculous. i been on a tangent about this lately too. i think a lot of things have happened.

one of the main things i think, is waynes longevity is practically unprecedented. outside of mf doom and black thought of the roots, no one raps this well for this long, and they arent nearly as prolific.

with that, hes always getting compared to some previous period of his. whats worse tho, is that people compare they felt about the music at the time, and not the actual music. there was a grantland review for s4tw2, talking about how back in the old days when wayne remixed a song it made the original irrelevant.

but nowadays if wayne jumps on no type, they still find themselves listening to rae srremmurd.

lol like what the hell does that have to do w how wayne did on no type??

second thing i think thats happening, is that waynes influenced like 98% of the game right now. everyones taken what theyve learned from wayne, and taken it in all kinds of creative directions, that its almost like wayne is behind.. after being ahead for so long. hes dated.

i think theres still hints on that on fwa.. glory is great but it definitely isnt modern.. my heart races on, structurally is pretty 08, murda.. without you is fantastic, but theyve been making songs like that since ja rule...

on the other hand, the modern cuts really stand out to me, the ones w out the convention of standard song structure.. london roads.. living right.. pick up your heart..

lol the irony is that most of waynes music is modern in this way. its only when he attempts to make "songs" that he falls into the standard. i think thats where the comparison to carter 4 makes sense. he tried to make songs on c4, but they sucked. (im with you, didnt like it then tho, like it more now.) but on fwa, he made songs, and killed it.

so i think whats happened, is a rare first.. waynes talent has outlived his relevancy. the public and the critics have moved on to artists who have taken his inspiration, and because of that arent giving wayne the time and attention to actually evaluate his work, and even if they do.. wayne has such a massive career, they end up comparing it w something else.

hes a monster genius.. i think the only way out.. is start making absolutely undeniable media. no half ass videos, and shitty presentation. his brand and image have got to take a leap into the kanye realm.

wayne should be seen as a master artist.. but hes not really promoted that way. i tink thats gotta be the way to go for him to get that appreciation.

Comment

Let me say this Real Wayne fans know who they are
              And even if the sky come fallin BITCH imma still be high

Comment

[QUOTE=mode;1431276]critic culture is ridiculous. i been on a tangent about this lately too. i think a lot of things have happened.

etc

QUOTE]

You nailed so many important points there!You’re right:Wayne is a monster genius indeed.Even his lame works (C4, IANAHB2, parts of D4 and D5) have inherent genius to them, they just come off as annoying or “wrong” in some way.Lil Wayne should’ve burned himself out lyrically in 2008, yet he still manages to explain the same few topics over and over again in hilarious and dope ways.

IMO, wayne’s success or failure on a song largely depends on two things: a good comfortable beat for him AND actual interest in music, not skating or whatever.D5 was a hugely disappointing mixtape because he was still suffering from that ridiculous IANAHB2 style, yet if you throw a beat at him like c.r.e.a.m. or you song, he knocks it out of the park!Lately, he has gone back to those mid-tempo more classic hip hop style beats, which I’ve been waiting for, because I knew it would make a huge difference.Plus, he has worked himself into a recording frenzy, which (as we all know from 2006-09) is how wayne works best.He wraps himself up in a complete universe of brilliance and gets better and better.Call it A.D.D. or whatever you want, but when wayne is distracted his music suffers big time.

He has scaled the heights that few artists can reach and as a result everyone has him pigeonholed in about two dozen different pigeonholes!!!Comes back to the “cant please everybody” concept.

On FWA he sounds so excited to be rapping again.It has been like a forest fire spreading since 2013.On IANAHB2 he killed the intro (despite some cheesy lines)… on D5 he turned in a small handful of really solid tracks that sounded like the wayne we all love (cream, you song, fuckin problems) and then something amazing happened:S4TW2.Any true wayne fan should NEVER downplay the importance of that tape.It was the true turning point.That’s when the good finally eclipsed the bad and he actually put out a dope project; something you felt good bumping in front of people. Lol.

For me, the wayne quality test is twofold:first… would you drive around with it playing and not feel embarrassed at all?And second… if someone asked you “so what is lil wayne all about” would you play them that song?In recent years the answer to most songs would be NO.However, with S4TW2 and FWA (especially the latter) I can honestly say these songs can be played with pride, and I would be just as comfortable playing someone “upgrade u” as I would “glory” or “post bail ballin” to demonstrate his lyrical dexterity and cleverness… his over skill.

Comment

It's not about if FWA came out after Lil Wayne was released from prison, FWA wouldn't even exist I don't think if it wasn't for the Birdman and Cash Money problems

Comment

why do people give a fuck about critics?

Comment

Originally posted by Lil wayne prezident View Post
                      cause people keep mentioning them. perpetual motion

Comment

Originally posted by Lil wayne prezident View Post
                        They need people to tell them how to think or give them opinions
                        Official Lil Wayne Rap Genius Thread: http://www.lilwaynehq.com/forums/lil...s-respect.html

Comment

Working...
                        X