Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting how drake and wayne are handling their careers

Drake In Real Life - Four Pins

If the implicit paranoia of his most recent opus,If You�re Reading This It�s Too Late, is any indication, Drake knows that this is a crucial juncture in his career. He�s reached the level of fame when the audience�s enthusiasm can lead to fatigue.
    For Drake to avoid backlash, his next album must mark a departure from the sound that's brought him worldwide acclaim. It�s similar to what Jackson did by embracing hip-hop and new jack swing on Dangerous. This is a fact Drake acknowledges onToo Late's "No Tellin," rapping, "I had to switch the flow up on you niggas, shit was getting too predictable."

this bit here made me think of wayne, and how he mightve missed a step. sure, he made rebirth but no one was really looking for that, and then what followed was mostly sub par, and even now, while hes spitting as well as he ever has.. hes not really offering any new.. grand departure from his old stuff..

i know fwa is hot, but i think a lot of the reviews mostly comes from the fatigue, same w the internet attention. he doesnt quite have the same pull as he used to, cos everyone knows what to expect from his music at this point. the critics arent going to give him credit for just rapping well, they know he can do that, but the mustic isnt really contributing anything new to the genre.. is not pushing anything forward.. just kind of standard weezy raps.

drakes always been more present and aware of his reception, and its allowed him to maneuver in really clever ways, think one of waynes greatest strengths is that he doesnt give a fuck, but waynes probably due for something that shocks the listener in a new positive way..

i was saying before how i think wayne and kanye need to do a project.. but thats probably too contrived.. itd be too obvious.. and it look like wayne needing help... but a wayne album produced by tyler, would be the shit. 12 smucker level songs.. idk how anyone could be mad at that.

is this another thread about a review?

Comment

Originally posted by Lil wayne prezident View Post
      is this another thread about a review?
      read to achieve bruddaa

Comment

Didnt like Smuckers sound. I get where youre coming from though.

Comment

So Wayne needs to change his sound?

Comment

Originally posted by SwagSwag View Post

I think so. When he first got big in 04-09, he came in with a completely different voice, extremely clever metaphors, and a unique flow pattern compared to other rappers and I think that's what got him a lot of attention.

Now that the sound that Wayne pioneered has become more mainstream and commonly used, i think Wayne needs to switch things up significantly if is to attract huge mainstream attention again.

Comment

Good thoughts, it seems basically true for the most part.

But for Wayne to change even just slightly his sound for what might almost be a third or even fourth time in his career and still make great music would be asking a lot of any artist. Compared to Wayne; Drake is still very new to rap so it would make sense that he still has more room to grow.

For Wayne I think he's gotten to a point similar to Jay, Snoop, Nas, Eminem, and others where although it is predictable, they have a strong core fan group that they know still enjoys what they do. Therefore the key is not to lose your core fans (maybe why Wayne thought he needed to leave CM).

It's all up to the artist but changing your sound too much can be worst than being predictable. Like someone above said, Wayne was a pioneer for what a lot of today's rap music sounds like just like his idols were for him. Whether he wants to find a way to be on top of the rap game again we'll just have to watch and as fans enjoy the music.

Comment

Is the TL;DR version that Lil Wayne needs a new sound ?

Comment

Too many words in his thread sorry m8
                  I could sell Sweet and Low to Sugar Ray Leonard!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SwagSwag View Post

i think so.. he needs to create a new lane for himself. the article mentioned how 40 pushed drake to make a 13 song cohesive project like the blueprint. i think waynes missing that project from his catalog too.. a super focused, in and out, front to back, solid listen.

fwa is almost a step in that direction but it lacks the continuity of those projects.. think wayne needs to work with one producer again.. carter 1 was probably his most cohesive album.. wayne with tyler.. or wayne with alchemist would be sick.

imagine wayne doing a covert coup style tape.. would be crazy

Comment

Originally posted by mode View Post
                      i think so.. he needs to create a new lane for himself. the article mentioned how 40 pushed drake to make a 13 song cohesive project like the blueprint. i think waynes missing that project from his catalog too.. a super focused, in and out, front to back, solid listen.

fwa is almost a step in that direction but it lacks the continuity of those projects.. think wayne needs to work with one producer again.. carter 1 was probably his most cohesive album.. wayne with tyler.. or wayne with alchemist would be sick.

imagine wayne doing a covert coup style tape.. would be crazy
                      He's come too far to start experimenting again

Comment

Originally posted by Waynasite View Post
                        He's come too far to start experimenting again

i think that thought process would hurt more than help, and im not sure its one that wayne necessarily holds.. his corner tho. those guys seem to be more interested in being beatmakers instead of producers. doesnt seem like any of those guys have taken the leap.

it looks like infamous had the most work on fwa.. and not a single one of his beats are related to another.. which is cool if youre just making hot beats.. but for a solid project, its less than ideal.

i actually dont think waynes style would have to change, hes so all over the place hed probably benefit from a solid background. i think itd be easier for listeners to latch on to, a thread to follow. lol right now, you either understand waynes language, or your pretty much lost.

Comment

Working...
                        X