• Show
Clear All

straight fire imo

Comment

Too much filler but still a good album, 7.3/10

- - - Updated - - -

Too much filler but still a good album, 7.3/10

Comment

Only negative is that Life Of Mr. Carter isn't on the album and they took Mannie out of Start This Shit Off Right for Mack Maine...Ashanti was a good add on though. Other than that it's perfect.
        Last edited by Weezyaveli; 09-28-2018, 11:29 AM.
        #FreeColleGrove2

Comment

Pretty disappointed. Thought there were a few strong tracks that were left out:

Life of Mr Carter
          The Light w Shannel
          Just Chill
          Dusse
          Kidnap Cupid

- - - Updated - - -

And I thought Demon was cool - reminded me of WTF by KRIT with the whole poetry thing.

Comment

People talk about missing songs and shit, but y'all are way off base. Look at the track list: NONE OF US KNOW ANY OF THESE SONGS. Just because you saw the name of something four years ago doesn't mean it's the same song here. And in the same vein, just because you heard of a song (Side Bitch, Life of Mr. Carter, etc) or heard a snippet doesn't mean that was the final shit.

Wayne CLEARLY was recording this up to the last minute. Start This Shit Off Right is a perfect example... the old verse sounded like a demo compared to this, where you can tell Wayne really spruced up his bars... a lot! And I LIKED the og STSOR. But this one is lyrically on another level.

That is basically my feeling on C5 as a whole right now. This is also what I had hoped for: Reworked, or completely new songs that reflect Wayne now; not Wayne in 2014,15,16, whatever.

I loved D6/D6R and felt it was a new beginning for quality in Wayne's music, and I was proven correct with C5 -- same as many of you were. C5 takes D6's strengths, it shakes out any lingering bad habits of Wayne's, tightens everything up, and delivers as a full project.

This isn't a mixtape. This is a real fucking album... and a dope one, at that. I've always secretly held out hope that Wayne would someday return to his 2005-08 flow, and once in a while we get glimpses of it (here it's STSOR)... but over time I've accepted that the new Wayne raps fast, not slow... the new Wayne is influenced by those HE INFLUENCED in the first place. Do I always catch every word the first time around like the old days? No. Do I miss that? Yes, sometimes. But as long as the rapping is dope, and the productions nice, I can make my peace with it.

I'm all about artists growing and not remaining stuck in the past. But with Wayne that wasn't always easy, because he went on a noticeable downward trajectory. In fact, Carter 4 was the only example of Wayne trying and failing at what he did previously. Then, almost as if he sensed it, he was onto D4 -- widely criticized, but undeniably energetic, and the clear beginning of New Wayne. It took years and years.. it took absolutely falling off and bottoming out with IANAHB2... it took bizarre autotune experiments.. it took a few flashes of former glories (S4TW2 and FWA)... it took endless features of varying quality. But we stuck with him, because we knew this day was coming. Now that it's here, I am happy with what we have. I am far happier, I believe, than I could've ever been with an album in 2014 populated with tracks like Start a Fire, Grindin, Krazy, and so forth.

I am certain Wayne knew back then that C5 couldn't be released in that condition. I said on this forum many times since then that I believe Wayne and Birdman concocted the beef because they saw the weak reaction to Wayne's C5 singles; they saw that Wayne didn't mean in 2014 what he meant in 2011 -- still riding the C3 hype but having already fallen off. Instead of trying for what 2014 C5 was going to be, they decided to go the legend route. Meaning: Let's make a Detox, but actually release it eventually.

Through the entire Birdman beef, nothing happened that convinced me otherwise that this was a fabricated beef... a marketing ploy. But I respected that, and I still do. It was a stroke of genius. I will say that through all of that, the one and only incident that was more serious than a bunch of shit talking and dropped lawsuits was the shots fired at the tour bus. That's the only thing that gave me pause.

But then, I thought logically again: Birdman didn't do that personally. It was a misunderstanding... it was a young dude who probably thought he was doing something honorable for Birdman.

To this day, I believe Wayne and Birdman shook hands in 2014 and made an agreement to stick to this public feud no matter what. They will always be hustlers. They recognized C5 as the once in a lifetime event it is: They will never have an album as important as C5 to roll out. NEVER. Not from Drake, not from anyone. Now, in the ensuing years Drake ended up being bigger than anyone could imagine, and riding one wave after the next. He is on a creative downturn but he's more popular than ever. But, Drake is a bitch. Drake ain't street and he would never agree to the scam that Lil Wayne and Birdman pulled on each and every one of us for the last half a decade.

There were times when I think it got too real. There were times when it was misunderstood. There were times, there were times, there were times. But I am in marketing... I own a marketing firm and I have done this for a living for many years... I know what they did here. Nothing will ever change my mind.

But from a marketing perspective, the greatest thing of all is that it worked. They pulled the plug in 2014, fabricated a drama, cultivated a comeback, and put the album out on their terms, releasing what will be not only one of the greatest selling albums of all time, but also an instant legendary classic.

Well done, boys.

Comment

Originally posted by no_tom&jerry View Post
              People talk about missing songs and shit, but y'all are way off base. Look at the track list: NONE OF US KNOW ANY OF THESE SONGS. Just because you saw the name of something four years ago doesn't mean it's the same song here. And in the same vein, just because you heard of a song (Side Bitch, Life of Mr. Carter, etc) or heard a snippet doesn't mean that was the final shit.

Wayne CLEARLY was recording this up to the last minute. Start This Shit Off Right is a perfect example... the old verse sounded like a demo compared to this, where you can tell Wayne really spruced up his bars... a lot! And I LIKED the og STSOR. But this one is lyrically on another level.

That is basically my feeling on C5 as a whole right now. This is also what I had hoped for: Reworked, or completely new songs that reflect Wayne now; not Wayne in 2014,15,16, whatever.

I loved D6/D6R and felt it was a new beginning for quality in Wayne's music, and I was proven correct with C5 -- same as many of you were. C5 takes D6's strengths, it shakes out any lingering bad habits of Wayne's, tightens everything up, and delivers as a full project.

This isn't a mixtape. This is a real fucking album... and a dope one, at that. I've always secretly held out hope that Wayne would someday return to his 2005-08 flow, and once in a while we get glimpses of it (here it's STSOR)... but over time I've accepted that the new Wayne raps fast, not slow... the new Wayne is influenced by those HE INFLUENCED in the first place. Do I always catch every word the first time around like the old days? No. Do I miss that? Yes, sometimes. But as long as the rapping is dope, and the productions nice, I can make my peace with it.

I'm all about artists growing and not remaining stuck in the past. But with Wayne that wasn't always easy, because he went on a noticeable downward trajectory. In fact, Carter 4 was the only example of Wayne trying and failing at what he did previously. Then, almost as if he sensed it, he was onto D4 -- widely criticized, but undeniably energetic, and the clear beginning of New Wayne. It took years and years.. it took absolutely falling off and bottoming out with IANAHB2... it took bizarre autotune experiments.. it took a few flashes of former glories (S4TW2 and FWA)... it took endless features of varying quality. But we stuck with him, because we knew this day was coming. Now that it's here, I am happy with what we have. I am far happier, I believe, than I could've ever been with an album in 2014 populated with tracks like Start a Fire, Grindin, Krazy, and so forth.

I am certain Wayne knew back then that C5 couldn't be released in that condition. I said on this forum many times since then that I believe Wayne and Birdman concocted the beef because they saw the weak reaction to Wayne's C5 singles; they saw that Wayne didn't mean in 2014 what he meant in 2011 -- still riding the C3 hype but having already fallen off. Instead of trying for what 2014 C5 was going to be, they decided to go the legend route. Meaning: Let's make a Detox, but actually release it eventually.

Through the entire Birdman beef, nothing happened that convinced me otherwise that this was a fabricated beef... a marketing ploy. But I respected that, and I still do. It was a stroke of genius. I will say that through all of that, the one and only incident that was more serious than a bunch of shit talking and dropped lawsuits was the shots fired at the tour bus. That's the only thing that gave me pause.

But then, I thought logically again: Birdman didn't do that personally. It was a misunderstanding... it was a young dude who probably thought he was doing something honorable for Birdman.

To this day, I believe Wayne and Birdman shook hands in 2014 and made an agreement to stick to this public feud no matter what. They will always be hustlers. They recognized C5 as the once in a lifetime event it is: They will never have an album as important as C5 to roll out. NEVER. Not from Drake, not from anyone. Now, in the ensuing years Drake ended up being bigger than anyone could imagine, and riding one wave after the next. He is on a creative downturn but he's more popular than ever. But, Drake is a bitch. Drake ain't street and he would never agree to the scam that Lil Wayne and Birdman pulled on each and every one of us for the last half a decade.

There were times when I think it got too real. There were times when it was misunderstood. There were times, there were times, there were times. But I am in marketing... I own a marketing firm and I have done this for a living for many years... I know what they did here. Nothing will ever change my mind.

But from a marketing perspective, the greatest thing of all is that it worked. They pulled the plug in 2014, fabricated a drama, cultivated a comeback, and put the album out on their terms, releasing what will be not only one of the greatest selling albums of all time, but also an instant legendary classic.

Well done, boys.
              fam , had almost forgotten about you , but reading those lines made me remember everything. You talked about this huge plan and time may have proven you right. I guess we will never learn , but yeah , this is the right C5. These C5 singles we got in 2014 were mediocre to say the least. Krazy , Start a Fire even Believe me were meh. Glad we reached this day and got this version. It's strange , but now I agree with you. I see you no_tom&jerry , this time , I can relate to what you say..!

Comment

I gave u props cause it took u a few days to write that novel.

and it wasnt a bad read.

Comment

Definitely on the fence right now
                  Glad to hear him rapping on a album
                  I liked a lot of the songs
                  Didn�t love too many of them
                  Imma sit with it some more

Comment

Originally posted by back on my bullish*t View Post
                    straight fire imo

Comment

I come out of the woodwork when there�s a new release. Lol. Glad you can see my vision now. Honestly in the end I couldn�t care less about how we got C5... I�m just happy we got it.

I also think it�s dope that we got 100% fresh music. We didn�t know one fucking song on this when it dropped. Sure we recognized 3 or 4 titles� maybe even heard an og 2014 clip or demo� but this was 2018 material no doubt.

One thing i pride myself on is being able to guess exactly when any Wayne bars came from even if I only hear a couple seconds of it. I�m sure most of y�all can do that too. To the true Wayne connoisseur we can place a song based on the smallest details: vocal inflections, lyrical themes, flow, even the actual recording of his voice! Y�all know exactly what I mean. It�s a party trick no one else gives a fuck about. Lmao.

But anyway, some of these song titles might be old, but this shit was recorded in 2018 � I�ve never been surer of anything in my life! Sounds like a polished, rehearsed version of D6/D6R. Any Wayne fan with good ears can hear that this sounds like the natural conclusion to the lyricism, flow and energy we were introduced to in late 2017/early 2018. And you can take that to the bank!

Besides, even if you didn�t believe that, believe this: Wayne is well known to NOT like putting out �old shit�. He would never tolerate the most important album of his entire career to come out with dated bars (unless they were dated 2007 LOL �jk. we wish). He re-records, re-records, re-records. Like a true artist.

Comment

props to his team, label, producers / collaborators (and their teams) for preventing any leaks. I had not heard any of these tracks in full before the released. For everything that has gone wrong since 2014, that was really nice to see.

Comment

i wouldnt of minded if he pulled a chris brown and threw 40 tracks i would of died

Comment

Working...
                          X