Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you assess Wayne's instrumental choices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you assess Wayne's instrumental choices?

Do you feel recently Wayne's instrumental selections have been lackluster or astounding lately?

In my opinion I've had distaste with Mack Maine's mainstream EDM/Pop/R&B infused rap instrumental selection and songs which were proposed to Wayne. Notable tracks which could fall under this distinction:

What About Me (ft. Sosamann) (Produced by DJ Frank E & Johnny Yukon)

Open Safe (A poor, repetitive Mustard instrumental in my opinion.)

As for songs What About Me came off as a rehashing of those Drake inspired pop rap love songs which come from numerous new school artists, the slow bpm and synth instrumental also came off as generic as well.

Open Safe produced by DJ Mustard sounded like every other Mustard beat produced, merely Mustard following his same formula for producing each song of his. Wayne's raps are the only upside.

The kind of instrumentals I enjoyed from Wayne on C5 were

Uproar (Produced by Swizz Beatz)

Open Letter (Produced by Infamous, Ben
    Billions & Nick Da Piff)

Dope Niggaz (ft. Snoop Dogg) (Produced by R.I.O. & Kamo)

Gotti (ft. The LOX) (Produced by AJayones)

Uproar and Dope Niggaz used classic samples, Uproar didn't do much to flip the original sample but added Swizz's drum programming talent to create a catchy hi-hat drum kick pattern. Not many beats sound like Uproar for good or for worse.

Dope Niggaz used a sample to actually advance the original beat and managed to recreate the drum pattern used on the original sample creating this smooth melody clearly of West Coast inspiration paying homage whilst creating this new refreshing instrumental.

Gotti is a top 3 rap instrumental of all time for me behind "Mommy What's A Gravedigga" produced by Prince Paul and "They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y)" produced by Pete Rock of the rap duo C.L Smooth & Pete Rock referenced on Wayne's iconic I Am Not A Human Being record. Anyways I enjoy Gotti for it's slow gritty drums reminding me very much of what Swizz would do with The LOX often during the Ruff Ryder's golden era, just a gritty NY vibe with this cool guitar riff where Wayne crafts his sung chorus. Just a very nice dynamic instrumental.

Do you as listeners appreciate some of Wayne's instrumental choices and reserve some displeasure with others?

Last edited by Anthony20rty; 01-31-2019, 12:13 AM.

The time Seal acknowledged Wayne as the last bastion of good hip-hop music

Lil Wayne Rhyme Scheme Breakdowns Here

its gotten better imo, beats on C5 covered a wide range, velvet session beats were all mostly really good as well

Comment

Open Safe slander will not be tolerated

Lil Wayne & Young Thug = GOATs

Comment

Originally posted by Damyan View Post
        It's not slander if it's facts.

There's nothing much to slander.

Comment

I do prefer c4 beats over c5 beats. I know Wayne can get waaaay better beats than most of the beats he has now.

Comment

The thing is, I know for sure Wayne has fire beats but again look at who is picking the songs we listen to. Mack Maine doesn't know shit and doesn't have an artistic bone in his body, he should never be choosing anything that has to do with music.

Comment

Originally posted by OllyCarterz View Post
              I do prefer c4 beats over c5 beats. I know Wayne can get waaaay better beats than most of the beats he has now.
              Yup. He has respect from many producers in rap, I wish him and Alchemist did more stuff beyond Ain't Got Nuthin' & Fat Albert by Curren$y. He also need's that meaningful concept production, like that jazzy instrumental from Swizz Beatz on Dr. Carter with the dialogue from the nurse or the cleverly produced Mr. Carter record with the high pitched "Mr. Carter Where Have You Been" chant. Dedication and Can't Be Broken were the best examples of a well fleshed out concept and a equally meaningful instrumental.

Comment

Originally posted by Damyan View Post
                the beat sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by OllyCarterz View Post
                  you gonna make velvet sessions cover?

Comment

Tunechi said it himself, he has to feel the beat himself first to see how he will kill it

Comment

that perfect strangers beat is 11/10

Comment

Velvet Sessions had some amazing beats... Weak, All For The Feeling, even Who was good.. C5 could have had bigger names but I was more than content with what we got.

Comment

Working...
                        X