Does anyone think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone think...

Does anyone think its harder to go platinum and multi platinum compared to 90s and early 2000s?? First week sales have remained relatively the same but I feel like an album going diamond is impossible now. However on the other hand I think its relatively easier for singles to go diamond. Thoughts??
    Don't get too high to look over blessings

Originally posted by when_it_snow_im_on_top View Post
    Does anyone think its harder to go platinum and multi platinum compared to 90s and early 2000s?? First week sales have remained relatively the same but I feel like an album going diamond is impossible now. However on the other hand I think its relatively easier for singles to go diamond. Thoughts??
    I know what you are saying with how easy it is for singles to "sell", but I do also think it's easier for albums to go Platinum in today's age

Comment

what do the stats say? cause numbers dont lie

Comment

The age of physical sales is over, everything is digital now. 1500 streams is equivalent to 1 pure album sale. That number is ridiculous in my eyes, if an album has 15 songs, 100 people would need to stream the entire thing to achieve 1 album sale; and in those 100 people more than 1 person is bound to like it and buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by jsharma17 View Post
          The age of physical sales is over, everything is digital now. 1500 streams is equivalent to 1 pure album sale. That number is ridiculous in my eyes, if an album has 15 songs, 100 people would need to stream the entire thing to achieve 1 album sale; and in those 100 people more than 1 person is bound to like it and buy it.
          That is why I think it was easier to platinum back in the 90s and early 2000s tbh. I think when they made the stream equivalent rules they were comparing it to 2006-2014 when sales were down a lot because illegal downloads etc. When you look at sales numbers from about 2006-now they are about the same where as the most popular albums of the time hit 4x and 5x platinum but nothing higher. First weak sales however have been consistent from the 90s to now tho (Eminem is the only outlier)

However I think with streams if you have a popular single it is easier for that one song to go multi platinum. Youtube counts so if the music video does really well that counts as sales etc
          Don't get too high to look over blessings

Comment

Originally posted by jsharma17 View Post
            i always wondered how they managed to work that out
            like what made them say 'we will count 1500 streams as an album sale'

Comment

yup, 100% what you said is true

Comment

Albums are harder

Singles are easier

Comment

for sure it is.

Comment

It is for a fact.

Comment

yup

Comment

Everything is so instant that you can move on from an album after hearing the first three songs while back in the day you had to purchase the whole thing regardless. Just one of the many reasons first week album sales have plummeted.

Comment

Working...
                        X