great thread thanks for writing

#FREEVELVET

Comment

Originally posted by jsharma17 View Post
      Lil Wayne - The Drought Is Over 2: The Carter 3 Sessions
      Released: June 7th 2007
      "
      To think, what might have been"

Background: For all the times I've seen someone ask "Rank your favorite/the best Lil Wayne projects," I very seldomly see The Drought Is Over 2 mentioned. Obviously, some people immediately write it off because it's unofficial, personally, I think it's time that changes. In my top 5 Wayne projects, TDIO2 holds the #3 spot, only behind Tha Carter III and Tha Leak.Tha Carter III may be Wayne's ultimate moment but TDIO2 was instrumental in building the hype for that moment to be possible in the first place. But why is TDIO2 important and so good in the first place? Simply put, it showcases how Wayne redefined the meaning of lyrical prowess, diversity, and innovation.

Build Up:Tha Carter served as a rebirth for Wayne's career, image/look, and talent. On Tha Carter II the hustler became the kingpin and pretty much every aspect of Wayne's game increased a notch. Post Tha Carter II, we see Wayne heighten his mainstream appeal through collabos, earning features on notable on popular crossover songs such as Lloyd's "You," Chris Breezy's "Gimmie That (Remix)," and Avant's "You Know What." That's not to say Wayne abandoned his core, his rap fanbase. In fact, he grew from a capable southern rapper, to the hottest MC in the game. Wayne boasted his self-given title of "the best rapper alive" on the end of Tha Carter II but that title wasn't undeniably his in 2005. With his seemingly non-stop onslaught of projects in 2006, it became increasingly harder to doubt him and his claim. After Da Drought 3, you looked like an idiot if you believed otherwise. With essentially the entire game at his fingertips Wayne, and technically The Empire, gave us TDIO2.

Lyricial Prowess:
      Diamonds & Girls (Feat. Curren$y): Wayne's 2nd verse is especially impressive as he goes on tangents of related rhymes (Seen ya/diarreha/Nia) as well as (Here/Clear/Richard Gere/Pier). Wayne's similies are fluid and unique for the time. Curren$y's punchlines make this track complete, his verse definitely up there with Wayne's verses

I'm A Beast: The first time I heard this song, I had chills. One of the few songs I've ever heard to instill a sense of anticipation and excitement that high. While Wayne was having fun on "Did It Before" he was having fun yet also incredibly focused on his goal on "I'm A Beast." Also one of Wayne's best four-liners: "Life is short, yeah a midget told me that/And I always thought I was fly like I had a pigeon on my back/But I got decisions on my back, vision on my back/So don't you try to run up on me, I got precision with that gat."

Diversity:
      Let's Talk It Over: A common criticism of Wayne is that he's a one dimensional brag rapper but this StreetRunner proves that Wayne can handle vulnerable topics in a masterful manner. Quite recently, I've realized "Let's Talk It Over" is one of my favorite Weezy songs and for good reason, he floats over this beautiful beat. I believe this song is directed at Trina as he raps "Knew I would help you sell, knew I would write for you." Not a single line is wasted in this upbeat reflection at his previous relationship.

World Of Fantasy (Feat. Question): Not only does the beat feel like a throwback, we get a throwback to the tribulations in Wayne's childhood. While I think he was smart to rework this verse into the grand ending of "Playing With Fire (Feat. Betty Wright)," It still fits well in this song. Defying his braggadocio tendancies again, Wayne lays a heartfelt and vulnerable sixteen complemmented by San Antonio rapper Question's fitting and equally genuine verses. Truly, something rare for the man at the time.

Innovation:
      Prostitute Flange (Feat. Boo): One of, if not, the first time Wayne has ever used Autotune and he utilizes it excellently. What backpackers might views as a sell-out, I view as a masterpiece. The ode to superhead forms a striking contrast in comparison to songs like "What He Does (Feat. Nikki)." Wayne's songwriting ability also shines as he shifts away from his usual 2-3 verse/no hook structure.

I Feel Like Dying: It would be a crime to not mention this song. "I Feel Like Dying" is a legendary song that shows the duality of a drug addict's life. There are euphoric highs that bring the drug user gratification and the depressing lows that torment their mind. The ominous vocal effects Wayne uses represent that he is not himself and instead under the influence. The hauntingly beautiful hook is the icing on the cake for one of the most unexpected and important records ever. In an age of the glorification of drug dealing, Wayne explores what those who are dealt actually experience.

Accolades:
      1. 119,890,000+ combined vews on YouTube
      2. Many songs rank in Vibe's "77 Best Weezy songs of 2007"
      3. Home to some of Lil Wayne's best songs as well as
      generational-defining songs
      4. Hailed as one of the greatest mixtape of all time upon true/self-respecting rap fans

Various Perfomances:
      I Feel Like Dying

Scarface (In The Form of a Freestyle)

Prostitute Flange (First Ever Perfomance)

Closing Remarks: For the last 3 years, I've gotten to discover Wayne's discography, the same music that has set the tone for my life growing up as a teenager. I wish I could thank Wayne for giving me music to fall in love with during my high-school years. I don't see The Drought Is Over 2 getting old anytime soon, as only timeless music will remain in the end. I had a lot of fun writing this as I had the running in the back. During senior year, in October, The Drought Is Over 4, will definitely receive the same treatment. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a project off a first listen more than I did when I listened to this in my freshmen year study hall. Whether you're an old Wayne fan who was lucky to experience the drop and witness Wayne in his prime, or a newer Wayne fan who wasn't able to experience those legendary years, The Drought Is Over 2 will remain as one of the crown jewels of the rap genre. On June 7th 2007, the world saw witness to the fact that a rapper could completely unhinge himself from his areas of comfort but at the same time rely on his talent to rap with more poise and assurance than ever before.
      🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

Comment

dope thread brah

defo a slept on unofficial project

Comment

I feel like the songs themselves were more classic than the tape. Especially since the songs were found other places. The tags ruined it fo me. Still left a mark in history tho no doubt

Comment

Working...
          X