i literally can't believe how good Carter II (& weezy) is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i literally can't believe how good Carter II (& weezy) is

i'm gonna go ahead and say it's fair to say i've listened to a lot of music over the years. and it's rare, at this point, that something jumps out of my speakers with such force that i'm just in awe. something that moves me, hypes me up to that degree physically. that shit like, never happens. i really had no idea what i was in for with this wayne thing.

i don't know how popular this thought is, but Fly In is my favourite song: just 2:23 of straight, hungry as fuck rapping. songs like that often end up being my favourites, fuck a hookfrom this to 75 Bars by the Roots, several recent Em songs, Rewind by Nas, plenty more Wayne songs.

i couldn't believe what i was hearing, what he was doing with his voice, and the more i hear, the more i realize wayne's voice is an instrument. whether it's a feature, a mixtape or an album, wayne is percussive, wayne is part of the beat. would 'No Love' be as good if weezy didn't say '...get em' just before Em's verse? i don't think it would.

take 'the heat', where his quicksilver rhymes, percussive adlibs are just as important, if not more than the gunshots that make up the hook�he is the gunshots, he is the hook. it's unbelievable.

and Fly in... it doesn't even matter what he's saying, it's how he's saying it. he sounds possessed, his tone, his pitch constantly changing, his voice almost catching an ODB-like waver in it. the song is, all at once, the most dangerous, the most hype, the most satanic and the most heavenly thing i've ever heard.

'i'm so 5-0-4 you better kill me here/if you ever looking for me bitch i will be here': just listen to the way he lowers his voice for that, like he's inhabited by some spirit that maybe even he can't control... the lyric, on paper? it's fine, it's whatever. when he says it like that? it fires right through my armour and hits me in the heart. no, the soul. when he says it like that i catch the holy ghost of rap and i fuckin believe it.

someday people are going to realize just what a unique voice this is, what an instrument unto itself, that it's up there with the greatest vocal chameleons of all time: bowie, dylan, whoever you want.

and that's a whole bunch of writing on one song. one fuckin song

i know this is old news to every single person here, i couldn't be later to the party, but fuck it. when i get this excited about something i gotta say something. FLY IN

- - - Updated - - -

by the way anyone know why i can't edit posts? safari or chrome, i just get a blank page

fly in, carter 2 and fly out are all 10/10 songs. someone mixed them together on youtube to make one goat song

Comment

I'm Interested to hear your thoughts on his current voice

Comment

i'll surely get to that but it might be awhile what with how much dope shit there is from this era haha

i'm still addicted to the carter->drought 3 run

not that i'm exclusively going in chronological order. might fuck around and listen to some random new shit

Comment

I wish I could hear Carter 2 for the first time again

Comment

c2 and dd3 is hungry weezy
            i dont know anyone who aint a fan

Comment

greatest rapper ever

make sure you appreciate it

Comment

don't sleep on the lyrics, they are amazing aswell

Comment

Definitely his best album front to back imo. And by a LARGE margin

Comment

Carter 2 is a gem, a masterpiece. And the greatest part is that it's not an easy one. Not just some well-crafted music just for the masses. But it's a whole mindset, a hunger man coming for the throne in every way.

The way he used his voice and pronounced shit back then...damn man this is the best

Comment

Hustler Musik is 11/10

Comment

Originally posted by mania983 View Post
                        don't sleep on the lyrics, they are amazing aswell
                        oh for certain. i've already started a list called like 'my favourite weezy lines'. i suspect it'll be never ending lol

Originally posted by Black00 View Post
                        Carter 2 is a gem, a masterpiece. And the greatest part is that it's not an easy one. Not just some well-crafted music just for the masses. But it's a whole mindset, a hunger man coming for the throne in every way.

The way he used his voice and pronounced shit back then...damn man this is the best
                        i'm in agreement 100%. somehow the entire thing MAKES you feel it, from the beats to the lyrics to the phrasing, this is a guy who knows where his skill is at and is just coming with a full-on assault. his coming for the throne, his hunger, is in every note

and yeah, the way he uses his voice(s). that's what i was trying to get at by saying he's an instrument, he is the music.

i think that's the difference between people like wayne and rappers that get called out for Corny Bars™. on paper, some of them could be corny, but the way he phrases them just comes off as effortless, playful, nonchalant. he doesn't call attention to them, it's just part of him, like that's his personality. it's endearing and we love him for it, and moreso, it's ALL in how you deliver it. it could be a 'bruh...' or it could be hilarious

so when (i've been reading too much reddit lately, admittedly) someone like eminem gets called out for corny bars, i think the difference is he's occasionally delivered stuff that might, on paper, even look like a lil wayne bar.. but he puts this huge emphasis on it, and if you say it like you're angry or with an attitude of 'look what i just did!' it doesn't come off, even if the intent is that kind of playfulness. kind of off topic, but in regards to him i think he's kind of waned (pun intended) from that style and gone for something that actually sounds fun

so yeah, that sets wayne apart for me hugely... and one thing i love is that, even while he's coming for the whole world, his new orleans roots are still there. the way he says 'sorry for cussin' in Best Rapper Alive kills me every time. it's like, you can take the dog out of the south, but.. it's like that 'southern hospitality' is still there instinctively, on a record where he's been cussing like a motherfucker the whole time. i absolutely love it lmao

sorry this post got long

Comment

Working...
                        X