LimeWire To Be Shut Down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LimeWire To Be Shut Down.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A New York judge ordered LimeWire to stop distributing its file-sharing software, agreeing with the plaintiffs that LimeWire's service is used "overwhelmingly for infringement."

Judge Wood of U.S. District Court in Manhattan said that LimeWire "intentionally encouraged direct infringement" by users of its site, and also "marketed itself to Napster users, who were known copyright infringers "

The LimeWire site shut down its service Wednesday, displaying only a legal notice announcing that that company "is under a court-ordered injunction to stop distributing and supporting its file-sharing software."

Nonetheless, the company insisted that it has not been permanently put out of business.

"While this is not our ideal path, we hope to work with the music industry in moving forward," LimeWire said in a prepared statement. "We look forward to embracing necessary changes and collaborating with the entire music industry in the future."

LimeWire CEO George Searle went further in a message posted on LimeWire's corporate site.

"The injunction applies only to the LimeWire product. Our company remains open for business," he wrote. "Our team of technologists and music enthusiasts is creating a completely new music service that puts you back at the center of your digital music experience. We'll be sharing more details about our new service and look forward to bringing it to you in the future."

LimeWire has been skirmishing for years with the music industry over its laissez faire approach to policing the copyright violations its peer-to-peer software enabled. More than a dozen plaintiffs pursued the case against LimeWire, which began four years ago. Sony (SNE) Music Entertainment, Virgin Records America, Inc., Arista Records, Capitol Records and Warner Brothers Records Inc. (Warner Brothers Records and CNNMoney.com are both part of Time Warner (TWX, Fortune 500).)

While the court order has halted further distribution of LimeWire's software, the networks that software tapped into -- Gnutella and BitTorrent -- remain active, and can be reached through other software applications.

Damnit. I fux with LimeWire.

Re: LimeWire To Be Shut Down.

This should of happened years ago.

Comment

Good, 2 years ago that shit loaded my computer whit Virus & shit

But it also helped me out with alot of music

Don't use it more tought

''They say they want the drugs to stop but imma major setback when my album drop''

Comment

wtf limewire? its 2010 you cant use this shit they are going to fuck you up...
        Peer 2 Peer is not safe...
        THIS AIN'T NOTHING TO RELATE TO.

last.fm || twitter

Comment

Frostwire is still up its just like limewire
          http://youngcorruption.tumblr.com/
          Facebook Fan Page

Props to Woocky

Comment

Originally posted by snowman99 View Post
            Frostwire is still up its just like limewire
            I heard FrostWire gives you a lot of virus's.

Comment

I used to use the shit aaaaages ago, like years. And it fucked the shit out of my laptop with viruses. Ive not used it since.

Comment

Stopped using Limewire like 5 years ago. If you used that shit in the last 3 years or less, you dumb.

protect dunston at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by YoungTune. View Post
                  I heard FrostWire gives you a lot of virus's.
                  its actually i bit safer to use than limewire when it comes to viruses
                  http://youngcorruption.tumblr.com/
                  Facebook Fan Page

Props to Woocky

Comment

Stopped using this ages ago.

Comment

aww i liked limewire it was easier than googling whatever song I wanted

Comment

Damn, I downloaded this like a month ago & got a couple songs from it. LOL, I'm the only one that used it recently.

Comment

Working...
                        X