RZA's new film; Man with the Iron Fist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RZA's new film; Man with the Iron Fist

the following article is 6 months old, however i thought it was relevant becase Pam Grier just signed on to star in it today.

& i didn't post this in the 'official new movies' thread because i thought this deserved it's own thread, seeing as how it has to do with an iconic figure in hip hop.

those who don't know, RZA was a founding member of wu-tang, and is a fantastic producer & scorer.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d1...yd/desktop.jpg

If you're a long-time reader, you'll know that a project I've been following is Wu-Tang Clan member RZA's kung fu project that he wrote with Eli Roth called The Man With The Iron Fist (although Deadline refers to it as Fists with the extra "s"). The good news is that Universal is making a deal to finance and distribute RZA's project, which means it'll finally start shooting later this year. The bad news is that it's Universal, who will probably mess with the film and screw up the marketing. Oh well. RZA will also play the title character, a blacksmith who forges weapons for the inhabitants of a village in feudal China, and will also direct this.

Universal is giving them a budget of under $20 million which he'll use to shoot this in September in Hong Kong. It's described as a "stylized martial arts film" and RZA will produce the soundtrack as well as star in and direct this. Eli Roth explains how fully immersed RZA has been in this: "While I was away shooting Inglourious Basterds, RZA went to China to shoot test footage on his own, with all the choreography. It was very visual and I think he will bring to life a script that mixes kung fu with a spaghetti western mindset and a hip hop influence." That just sounds awesome. "RZA has imagined every tribe, every fighting style, every costume," Roth said. "He knows kung fu like I know horror." And that's why I can't wait to see this!

The Man With the Iron Fist (or Fists, if that's true) will be a "bloody R rated martial arts extravaganza" that RZA developed after studying Quentin Tarantino for a few years and working with Roth. He's really putting everything into this, not only in the script, but for his feature directing debut. "I'm going to tell you that we put a lot of time into the script, a lot of energy into it, a lot of people were supporting me on it, and if the energy comes out right, it should be a classic film to have in your library." I hope that's the case! Stay tuned for more updates and potential casting coming down the road. Anyone else just as excited to see this?
    sounds dope.
    http://scroogemcdope.tumblr.com/
    if you're on tumblr, follow my blog & i'll follow back!

Re: RZA's new film; Man with the Iron Fist

Russel Crowe is attached to the project as well:

Rza Recruits Russell Crowe for �The Man With the Iron Fist� | Hip Hop On A Higher Level | XXLMAG.COM
    Rza will be sharing screen time with Russell Crowe yet again, according to E! Online. The mastermind behind the Wu-Tang Clan has locked down the actor to star in his first feature film as a director, The Man With the Iron Fist.

Rza, who first worked with Crowe in 2007�s American Gangster, will also star in the martial arts flick as a blacksmith who makes weapons in feudal China. The details on Crowe�s character are unclear, but according to Rza, he�s not someone you�d want to exchange blows with. �I won�t spoil it for you, but Russell�s gonna be the baddest man alive,� The Shaolin rapper/producer told E! �That man is in fighting shape. That man will knock you out.�

The movie, which is set to begin filming in Shanghai in December, is being co-produced and co-written by Hostel�s Eli Roth.
    In the meantime, Crowe and Rza will be appearing together in Paul Haggis� The Next Three Days, set to hit theaters on November 19. �Elan Mancini

Comment

Working...
    X