Director Todd Phillips Already Planning 'Hangover 3'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Director Todd Phillips Already Planning 'Hangover 3'

Get Ready for ‘The Hangover Part 3′; Set to Conclude the Wolfpack Trilogy | Screen Rant

apparently it will be a wolfpack trilogy, haha.

We�re still more than a week away from the release of the highly-anticipated follow-up to Todd Phillips� surprise hit, The Hangover. While trailers for the original film certainly hinted at a fun night at the theater (as a result of the Wolfpack�s disastrous night in Vegas), no one could have anticipated just how popular the comedy would be with mainstream moviegoers.

That is to say, no one but Phillips himself, who now (jokingly) claims that the Hangover films were envisioned as a trilogy. Despite the fact few people have even seen The Hangover Part 2 yet, fans of the franchise will be glad to know that the director fully intends for The Hangover Part 3 to make it to the big screen.

Phillips joked that while many fans may have expected The Hangover hijinks to have simply been a stand-alone film, the director �always� intended for the Wolfpack comedy epic to be extended into a full trilogy.

�If we were to do a third one, and quite honestly we really haven�t talked about it as we just finished the movie two weeks ago, this is the first time we�ve all been together in awhile. If we were to do a third one, if the audience, if the desire was there, I think we have a clear idea where that would head and it�s certainly not in the same template you�ve seen these movies and obviously we always envisioned it as a trilogy as you can imagine, the third would very much be a finale and an ending.�

It�s hard not to wonder how successful a third film would be. While the first film is no doubt a hilarious romp around Vegas with a number of lovable characters � the success of The Hangover was in large-part due to the movie�s unique structure and over-the-top gags. Early reactions to the first trailer for The Hangover Part 2 seemed to indicate that some fans were put-off by seeing Phillips rely on the same trick again.

As a result, it�s good to hear the director intends to alter the �template.� However, since the �hangover� mystery set-up is such an integral part of the franchise, Phillips will certainly have his work cut out for him � to find a new way to surprise audiences while keeping the film somewhat familiar.

According to Phillips, the location of the next film, along with many other details, are still very much up in the air.

�The most I could say about it and I haven�t discussed it with these actors is that it is not following that template but very much a new idea. As far as where it takes place� I�m very open like the Olympic committee to being pitched and presented cities� flown around with wine and women and bribed and then I will make my decision.�

Hopefully a fresh locale (and a lot of booze) will be just what Phillips and Co. need to conclude The Hangover trilogy in a satisfying and equally surprising way � especially since, according to the report, the director has no intention of creating a spin-off with any of The Hangover characters.

The Hangover Part 3 isn�t exactly an unwelcome idea but, given the been-there-done-that feel of Part 2�s trailers � it�s hard not to be somewhat skeptical as to whether or not audiences will be as excited about a third film.

On a side note, if the drama in the third movie doesn�t center around Zach Galifianakis� character Alan and his wedding/bachelor party-gone-wrong, it�ll be a definite missed opportunity.

Follow me on Twitter @ iambenkendrick and let us know if you think The Hangover Part 3 talk is premature � as well as where you�d like to see the Wolfpack engage in another night of debauchery.

The Hangover Part 2 arrives in theaters on May 26th.
    http://scroogemcdope.tumblr.com/
    if you're on tumblr, follow my blog & i'll follow back!
Working...
X