X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop

"Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop

1010Share

The double entendre � French for �double meaning� � is synonymous with puntastic rap.
    �Double Entendre� is defined in the English lexicon as �a word or expression capable of two interpretations�. An example, from �Bricks� by Gucci Mane:Gucci�s a �dope� (good) �runner� (jogger) and a �dope� (cocaine) �runner� (seller).
    There are examples aplenty in the world hip-hop � indeed, doubling up is the hallmark of a clever rapper.
    Then, there is the double entendre�s deformed, antisocial, overachieving cousin: the elusive TRIPLE entendre (gasp!) � a single phrase capable of being interpreted as having THREE (3) possible meanings.
    The triple entendre is an elusive-ass motherfucker. Some scholars say it does not exist! � they claim alleged triple entendres are usually just misunderstood homophones.
    At Rap Genius, we believe in Santa Claus, the tooth fairy � and triple entendres. We just think they are damn hard to put together! For a REAL triple entendre to come together, the audience needs to cast a wide semantic web. Triples are a two-way street � the artist and audience have to work together (OR � the audience can just read Rap Genius).
    The current �triple entendroversy� (triple entendre controversy) of rap music began with this infamous Jay-Z line from Jay & Drake�s collaborative paean to the Illuminati � �Light Up�:

Of course, that�s not a triple entendre by any means. It�s not even a double entendre!! It�s a homophone (not even a very good one..) This is what happens when you write songs dedicated to a powerful, dangerous cult, ladies and gentlemen.
    This line led to a lot of ridicule for Jay, of course; more importantly, it incited fans to start looking for examples of ACTUAL triple entendres in rap lyrics.
    Rap Genius is proud to present you with a list of known triples (holla at us in the comments if you think we missed something!) The first two examples are from none other than Jay-Z himself, who has actually made two triple entendres in the same song. What a G, right?
    Jay�s �Triple Double� on Hello Brooklyn 2.0
    1. To �half-step� means to act fake. In 1988, rapper Big Daddy Kane released a classic track called �Ain�t No Half-Steppin'�, which Jay is referencing.
    2. Jay doesn�t �half-step� by diluting the cocaine that he sells.
    3. People use a cane to help themselves walk (step) better. The cane prevents him from half-steppin', bringing the meaning full circle.

Just a few lines later, Jay drops this gem:
    1. Jay-Z is a co-owner of the New Jersey Nets (an NBA team). The ownership of the Nets is trying to move the team from New Jersey to Brooklyn.
    2. He�s bringing actual fishing nets (the previous line is �My fine ho, we got some victims to catch.�)
    3. Since Brooklyn is described as a woman in the line above, this is also a play on the sexy stockings one might buy for a girlfriend (�Nets� being 1920�s stocking slang).

Fine, one more Jay triple. This one from �Dirt off Your Shoulder�:
    1. Jay can now stop selling drugs because he�s making money with the �Roc� (Roc-a-fella, Jay-Z�s hip-hop conglomerate)
    2. Jay could always �rewind� and go back to selling �rocks� (crack) if he needs to; he�s still thuggish
    3. Jay is quite the athlete! Like a running back, he can really move a �rock� (ball)

Eminem post-rehab

Recovery demonstrates Eminem�s technical brilliance, exemplified in some trippy trips. From �Won�t Back Down�:
    1. The previous line is �I�m the longest needle around here�. Going with the needle theme, while Em is a big one (needles are often called shots) and makes big pricks in the skin, other guys are small needles that make tiny pricks in the skin
    2. �Prick� is a derogatory name to call someone � usually a man � that means about the same thing as �jerk� or �asshole�
    3. �Prick� is also slang for a penis; considering the phallic theme running through the last few lines, Em seems to also be making fun of other guys' small members (remember that Eminem is purported to have a mystically large penis.. for a white guy)

Eminem and Jay�s triples � while technically masterful � are not the sort of rap lines you�d quote to friends at cocktail parties! They are reminiscent of a genius adolescent showing off � too elaborate. Triple entendres in the Golden Age of Rap were more accidental, unassuming and catchy.
    From Wu-Tang Clan�s 1993 classic, �C.R.E.A.M.�:�G off� meaning:
    1. To �get off� (have a figuative orgasm)
    2. Become a �G� (gangsta)
    3. Make �G�s� (thousands of dollars)

CLEAN & SIMPLE! Every syllable counts; Raekwon demonstrates that he is the Genius Minimalist of Hip-Hop / the Matisse of Rap.

Triple entendres are easier to make if the whole song is already a double entendre or extended metaphor (i.e. �I Used To Love H.E.R.� � Common�s metaphysical conceit dedicated to his �lady� hip-hop). In �Worst Enemy�, where Tech N9ne uses the concept of a friend-turned-enemy to talk about his dick, his double entendre-in-a-double entendre becomes a triple (feel me?):Meaning:

1. A literal friend would send him on missions (to get drugs, etc.)
    2. His dick wanted him on a mission to get pussy
    3. �A mission� sounds like �emission,� another word for ejaculating, which is a dick�s goal

Even rarer is a triple entendre combined with a double entendre, like underground rapper Loaded Lux demonstrates in a street freestyle:
    1. The whole jail feels like shampoo, because the prison showers metaphorically extend to the rest of the prison, as people can get raped anywhere in the prison. In fact, that cell right there is where his friend was forced to blow a guy
    2. �Cell son blew� = �sale son blew�, as in, that was the sale (drug deal) that he blew, and now he�s in jail
    3. Selsun Blue is a type of shampoo (the double entendre being �the gel feel like shampoo�)

Lastly, because it�s too ambiguous to classify, an honorable mention goes out to the line that started Rap Genius:This is taken to mean that Cam'ron has gone from eating bacon rolls (cheap calories) to riding in a Rolls Royce the color of bacon. The second �bacon� could also be bakin' as in �awesome� or �a place where weed gets smoked.� Or, rolls (in either case) could be ecstacy Cam was selling.
    You follow?
    Has Wayne made any of these?

^^ Created by Jake_YMCMB

Re: "Don't Ask Me How": The Elusive TRIPLE Entendre in Hip-Hop

Originally posted by kfadahunsi View Post
    Has Wayne made any of these?
    No!

Comment

"95 Air Max cause I�m a dope runner"

Gucci in this bitch
      THIS AIN'T NOTHING TO RELATE TO.

last.fm || twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Franknstein View Post
        No!
        Lmao.

12 char

But I'm sure Wayne has atleast one. I know he has doubles for sure
        "Armed and dangerous, rich and famous, young and restless
        Guns and stretchers
        Cristal and dubs for breakfast
        I just got one suggestion - none should test him
        'Cause cuz get hectic; send one through your sons intestines
        Glocks knock lungs from chests, you get the portrait?
        Bodies piled up on porches, it won't be gorgeous"

Comment

He has a lot of doubles, dunno about triple, shit sounds crazy!

Comment

Lupes Triples >>>>>

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJay View Post
              Lupes Triples >>>>>
              which triples did lupe make

Originally posted by Franknstein View Post
              No!
              I Lol'd hard

^^ Created by Jake_YMCMB

Comment

Originally posted by kfadahunsi View Post
                which triples did lupe make
                Lol there is about a Million to be honest but heres one:

I stick to the streets/
                Keep my dawgs out in front of me/
                See what I'm sayin'? and I push keys wonderfully"

Push Keys as in Move Drugs

Push keys as in play the piano (which is also a reference to the "stick to the streets keep my dogs out in front of me" line because blind people have seeing eye "dogs" who guide them around and use "sticks" so they dont run into things..Stevie Wonder is blind and plays the Piano so thats how those lines correlate)

See what I'm sayin/saiyan? and I push ki's wonderfully - the saiyans are warriors from dragonball who battled by using energy attacks a.k.a "Ki"

I prolly did horrible at explaining it but i tried lol
                Last edited by BlakeJay; 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IceMan View Post
                  "95 Air Max cause I’m a dope runner"

Gucci in this bitch
                  Bricksquaddddddddddddd

Comment

"When them niggas left me it got a little bit chilly, but I just let it burn like the end of a philly"

I think that's one.

There's a Hot Boyz reference. Chilli & Usher. Blunt reference.

I'm not sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by BlakeJay View Post
                      Lol there is about a Million to be honest but heres one:

I stick to the streets/
                      Keep my dawgs out in front of me/
                      See what I'm sayin'? and I push keys wonderfully"

Push Keys as in Move Drugs

Push keys as in play the piano (which is also a reference to the "stick to the streets keep my dogs out in front of me" line because blind people have seeing eye "dogs" who guide them around and use "sticks" so they dont run into things..Stevie Wonder is blind and plays the Piano so thats how those lines correlate)

See what I'm sayin/saiyan? and I push ki's wonderfully - the saiyans are warriors from dragonball who battled by using energy attacks a.k.a "Ki"

I prolly did horrible at explaining it but i tried lol
                      Maaaan.. ppl who can think like that is insane. #LupeFTW

Comment

Originally posted by bloodysharnin View Post
                        "When them niggas left me it got a little bit chilly, but I just let it burn like the end of a philly"

I think that's one.Twitter

There's a Hot Boyz reference. Chilli & Usher. Blunt reference.

I'm not sure though.
                        Left eye (I)
                        "Always had a black tool,even when i was at school 'cuz bullies aren't bulletproof..."

Comment

Working...
                        X