Why is Hip-Hop/Rap so popular now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Hip-Hop/Rap so popular now?

I remember when some of mywhite friends used to be little white boys listening to rock music all day.

And now they know about every little mixtape that drops, or they know about HotNewHipHop.com

Now they know every lyric to a Kendrick Lamar song.

No wonder why people hate Wayne, rap wasn't as popular when he was in his prime.

I remember going with my brother to pick up Get Rich or Die Tryin' back in 03.

But nobody gave a fuck about hip hop then.

Rap is everywhere now. Why?

Originally posted by StevenHTX View Post
    I remember when some of mywhite friends used to be little white boys listening to rock music all day.

And now they know about every little mixtape that drops, or they know about HotNewHipHop.com

No wonder why people hate Wayne, rap wasn't as popular when he was in his prime.

Wayne brought it to the mainstream

I ain't got Dunston on my shoulder, got Dunston in the backseat

Comment

Every fucking hipster listens to Kendrick Lamar, Hopsin & Macklemore I swear.

Comment

Rap aint really that popular though...
        Mississippi x California x North Carolina

Comment

Originally posted by Cli-City View Post
          Rap aint really that popular though...
          Are you jokeing?

It's as big or bigger than pop music...

Rap is a trend now, it's fashion, it's hypebeast

Comment

Are you jokeing?

It's as big or bigger than pop music...

Rap is a trend now, it's fashion, it's hypebeast
            No it's not...we tour more and still sell less seats....we release more tracks and chart less and win less awards...name an old rapper than can come back on the scene and still sell records...Britney, Madonna all of those old heads can leave for a decade and come back and still be relevant...Rap now...if Rakim or Scarface drops an album it will flop....plus remebering you are growing up so things that weren't appropriate when you were small are now..so of course you are gonna meet more people listening to rap/explicit music...
            Mississippi x California x North Carolina

Comment

No it's not...we tour more and still sell less seats....we release more tracks and chart less and win less awards...name an old rapper than can come back on the scene and still sell records...Britney, Madonna all of those old heads can leave for a decade and come back and still be relevant...Rap now...if Rakim or Scarface drops an album it will flop....plus remebering you are growing up so things that weren't appropriate when you were small are now..so of course you are gonna meet more people listening to rap/explicit music...
              Rap didn't really start become a trend until 2010 or so, Once Wayne you know..."fell off", rap really started to change.

Obviously the hipsters aren't going to listen to Rakim, or Scarface, or any old heads.

Comment

this tbh.

And plus.... Seems like anyone can get thier hands on a Canon t3i and shoot their own videos these days easily and get bigg off of youtube.

Comment

"we"

Comment

That I don't believe to be true, I know folks who DON"T know Kendrick Lamar I know folks who think Swimming pools is about just getting fucked up period. I agree with [MENTION=61920]lil_wayne[/MENTION] that wayne brought it to the mainstream BIG time.
                    ---->

Love Women XO

(Artist)
                    The Weeknd - 33 Mill

I WENT FROM RED BARS, TO REP STARS.

Comment

It epitomises the culture most people desire...

Comment

Co-sign this. Couldn't have said it better. My local "hip-hop" station plays more pop and dance music than any rap basically.

Comment

Working...
                        X