Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woocky Tutorial

Woocky's Tutorial
    For any questions or tips, please PM me or leave a comment here!

Got some requests for a tutorial.
    Actually the shit I always do is basically the same.
    Sometimes I feel a little more creative than other times; using different stocks and effects.
    I won't be using all of them in one picture ofc, but I'll try to add as much as possible yet keep it simple.

It's a very simple design but it's meant to teach you guys some useful techniques.

First of all, download THIS pack of stocks/renders. You will need them in order to follow the tutorial.

Open up the spoiler to see the outcome.
    SPOILER

Don't use all my exact settings and placing. Play with it a lot for better results.

Start by making a new file (CRTL + N) and set the width 500 and height 180.
    Open the file Background and Lil Wayne Render (Woocky) and drag them into your empty file.

Select the Lil Wayne (Woocky) file and go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness Contrast. Increase contrast by 65. Also, reduce the size of the render (CTRL + T and shift + drag the corners) so that it fits nicely.

You should have something like this.

Great, part one is done!

Now we're going to blend him in a bit.
    Select your smudge tool and "Toggle the Brushes pannel". Select the prefered Brush Tip Shape and check Shape Dynamics, Scattering and Smoothing.
    Play a little bit with the settings and try to get to something like this:

Now, duplicate (CRTL + J) both the Lil Wayne Render (Woocky) and the Background. Select both, the Render and the Background, and right > Merge Layers.
    Now smudge the center of Lil Wayne to the outside. You should create some cloud-like things around him.
    Great, now you've done that, set the blending mode to Lighter Color and on 50% opacity.

Open Background Light 1, decrease the size a bit and set the blending mode to Linear Burn.
    Now use a light red/orange-ish brush (450 diameter 40% hardness) and put it, in a new layer, under Wayne.

So far, so good.

Let's add a little more background effects and some minor adjustments to Wayne.

Right click on the Lil Wayne Render (Woocky) layer and select Blending Options...
    Add a stroke > centered > white > 1 px.
    Once you've done that you'll see an arrow pop up next to the Lil Wayne layer. Right click on that and select Create Layer. Now duplicate this layer (CTRL + J) and replace them somewhere near Wayne. You'll see the outline of him in white which is pretty cool imo.

Also, open Background Light 2 and put it under the Wayne render on Color Dodge.

Make a new layer and put it on TOP of the Wayne layer. Take a brown brush (I used 4d3535) and go over his arms and head + hat etc. Now put your mouse in between this layer and the Wayne layer, hold ALT and click. This applies the brown layer on the Wayne layer only. Now set the brown layer on Soft Light and it makes Wayne a bit darker (that's why I called the layer Darken*).

That's better.

We're going to add some fine details to the background now.

Open the Gradient Map or make your own and take some brown-ish colors to 'even' the colors a bit. I put it on 30% opacity cuz 100% looks rubbish. This Gradient Map is on top of every other layer!
    Open the files Dirt 1 and Dirt 2. Set blending mode for Dirt 1 on Multiply and Dirt 2 on Color Dodge. I erased the parts on Wayne cuz I thought it's a bit too much noise.
    Make a new layer, take a black brush (500 diameter 0% hardness) and darken the edges of the entire file.

Optional: Line Pattern.
    Make a new FILE (CTRL + N) width 3 height 3. Make sure the background is empty or erased and take a very dark brown color. Zoom in a lot, take the Pencil tool and make a diagonal line. Doesn't matter which way it is. Once you've done that go to Edit > Define Pattern... and give it a name.
    Once that's done go back to our Lil Wayne file, make a new layer and press ALT + BACKSPACE or CTRL + BACKSPACE. This fills the entire layer with your fore- or background color. Right click on the layer > Blending Options > Pattern Overlay > select your recently created pattern.
    Now, press that arrow that pops up next to the layer and press Create Layer. You can delete the layer of your fore/background color and you'll see the line pattern pop up. Set it on Soft Light and erase the parts (on Wayne) you don't like.

Starting to look like it.

Let's add some cool effects now.

I started by taking a light red brush (60 diameter 0% hardness) and put a dot on Wayne's back head (in a new layer ofc). Set it to Lighten 50%.
    Open Light 1, Light 2 and Light 3 and put them all on Color Dodge. I used Light 3 twice cuz I liked it lol (duplicate = CTRL + J).
    Place them anywhere you like. Duplicate some if you want or add more effects. This is all up to you. I prefer the Color Dodge, Lighten, Screen and Linear Dodge (Add) blends.

And finally, add the Lil Wayne text.
    You can download the "LIL" font here and the "WAYNE" font here.
    I duplicated the WAYNE text twice and gave it some sort of moving effect. How?
    Select one WAYNE layer and press CRTL + T. Now set the angle to 5. Do the same for another WAYNE layer, but set the angle to -5. Boom. I have all the WAYNE layers on Soft Light by the way.

There we go; finished!

If you lost track somewhere, here's the way I put the layers on top of each other.

​READ
    There's a LOT more I can add like a 3D-ish effect, a Topaz Clean, some more Grunge by Splattering the entire file etc etc. If this tutorial is being appreciated or I get some very useful tips I'll make a tutorial explaining them. Perhaps I should make specific tutorials for those effects for you guys to play with instead of throwing it all in one big tutorial.

Like I said before, if there are any questions or tips; just PM me or leave a comment!
    Last edited by Woocky; 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM.

Before i try just scanning threw.

1. My smudge tool has gone away. Do you know how to get it back?
    2. In the render and stocks it only had 1 render of Lil Wayne. Should i redo the download?

The 6ix god is watching i hope you prepared to face em

Comment

Originally posted by walkerwiseman View Post
      Before i try just scanning threw.

1. My smudge tool has gone away. Do you know how to get it back?
      2. In the render and stocks it only had 1 render of Lil Wayne. Should i redo the download?
      1. Your smudge tool can be beneath the Sharpen or Blur button.

2. It should have one Wayne render, yes. If you don't like the render or want to use another one, check Official PSDs | Your PSD Image Community

And thanks for taking the time to use my tutorial.
      You think I should make different tutorials per style? Makes it easier, shorter and more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by Woocky View Post
        1. Your smudge tool can be beneath the Sharpen or Blur button.

2. It should have one Wayne render, yes. If you don't like the render or want to use another one, check Official PSDs | Your PSD Image Community

And thanks for taking the time to use my tutorial.
        You think I should make different tutorials per style? Makes it easier, shorter and more specific.
        Wow great! Been looking for it for ever tbvh. Bout to take a stab at this to the best of my ability's. Making a cover or Nazem Kadri, a Toronto Maple Leafs player, its a Facebook cover photo so the size will be different

Comment

Wow great! Been looking for it for ever tbvh. Bout to take a stab at this to the best of my ability's. Making a cover or Nazem Kadri, a Toronto Maple Leafs player, its a Facebook cover photo so the size will be different
          Make sure to post the outcome!

Go to Jinglewaffle's resources to get some more lighting stocks. I got all mine off his thread.

Comment

Make sure to post the outcome!

Go to Jinglewaffle's resources to get some more lighting stocks. I got all mine off his thread.
            All the links are dead for me. Also so i find i did it okay, some stuff was a bit confusing buy im happy with it. The team i used was bad for the colours i used but i still like it lol.

Fits perfectly https://www.facebook.com/TMLNation

Thanks again!! Cant wait for more.

Comment

All the links are dead for me. Also so i find i did it okay, some stuff was a bit confusing buy im happy with it. The team i used was bad for the colours i used but i still like it lol.

Fits perfectly https://www.facebook.com/TMLNation

Thanks again!! Cant wait for more.
              Nice mate! I like it!
              I'll post some more easier tutorials soon. And are all [MENTION=55537]Jinglewaffle[/MENTION] 's links dead?

Btw, what did u do to the stripes? They use to be smaller.

Comment

Nice mate! I like it!
                I'll post some more easier tutorials soon. And are all [MENTION=55537]Jinglewaffle[/MENTION] 's links dead?

Btw, what did u do to the stripes? They use to be smaller.
                Great thanks!

The striped I had to get on the internet, just googled it then brought it in to Ps and made a screen blend and had it placed. The way you where saying wouldn't let me define the pattern.

Comment

Good shit....

Comment

Working...
                  X