welcome to collegrove was a boring, disappointing, underwhelming mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welcome to collegrove was a boring, disappointing, underwhelming mess

this album was hugely disappointing between the cover art, the production, songs choices and most noticeably the lack of chemistry between chainz and wayne

on CG1 wayne was rapping so hard chainz was struggling to keep up but the chemistry was organic and carried the entire project from intro to outro
    this album on the other hand is a slap together job that barely sticks together on so many occasions wayne sounds sleepy af and chainz is carrying a lot of the songs which is wild to say after such a long ass delay youd think this album would be sharpened to a T but it was so clearly pushed out the door it has me wondering wtf both of them have been doing all these years

PPA, Cant Believe You, Oprah and Gayle

these were the standard and what i thought we would get across the whole project great beats cohesive song structures with mature and elegant lyricism from both but it was a few standout moments amongst so many lazy forgettable and clusterfck songs

G6, Bars, Shame , Presha

these songs are good but could have been better but are tolerable and i can consider some of the more standout records on the record on the merit of them sounding cohesive coherent and like wayne + chainz actually giving a fuck

long story short - was the most recent session AMAZING beat and yet wayne doesnt lock in at all but mumbles half asleep on it reusing some random freestyle that barely fits into the vibe of the song so disappointing to say the least but it has grown on me on the merit of the beat sounding so fckin good and the hook being reasonably catchy

crown snatcher - sounds like a funeral leftover i you can hear the corny new age attempted flow all over the song that wayne been struggling to shoe horn into his catalogue since 2019​

significant other - beat switch makes no sense a beat switch should compliment the overall listening experience the switch here is jarring and both wayne and chainz are on completely different vibes it sounds like chainz just copied and pasted some random Funeral leftover onto the song and called it a day

godzilla - a song with so much potential but wayne goes for 30 seconds? why?? the song just fizzles out into nothing did no one hear the bag he was in and think to extend it? it sounds like again some random wayne leftover demo that chainz put himself on it doesnt amalgamate into anything impressive

big diamonds - who the fuck thought to put this dusty ass song on this album and more so barely change it besides remove half of waynes contributions and shoe horn 21 savage of all people on this busted ass underbaked ass beat /song

million from now - banging beat and chainz floats all over it then we get waynes verse which is jumbled messy incoherent and worst of all sounds so poorly mixed it sounds like it was recorded on a laptop mic in a bedroom somewhere

Transparency - boring 2010s sounding ass single with a a verse from wayne that goes for 4 seconds and i dont even remember chainz contributions

Crazy Thick - just boring

the whole album reeks of a slap together job similar to the way NC3 felt like random funeral sessions copy pasted on released beats its forgettable and lacklustre as a listening experience they keep telling us wayne spends 90% of his time recording but the material doesnt show it i dont deny that he is because its not my place to say but if his in the studio 24hr maybe he could spend i dont know a week ensuring the final product that somes out sounds cohesive..... and good? lol

random points
    - the 50 cent skits were a cool novelty for the promo but on the project itself they are pretty annoying and break up the flow of the project as opposed to adding to it
    - no back and fourth songs​

#FREEVELVET

nigga it was the best album of 2023

Comment

i respect your opinion but i thought the album was fire
      i have about 5 songs i play daily
      but the others are still good

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmie View Post
        this album was hugely disappointing​
        stopped reading at this point. how can you call it disappointing

Comment

Welcome 2 Collegrove > Collegrove 1 IMO

Comment

Damn it sucks you feel that way. I definitely enjoy it. I only skip about 3 songs

Comment

Only thing I dislike about it is that on some songs it feels like Wayne is a feature rather than it being his and Chainz' song. I love everything about Transparency but I don't play nearly as much as I would if there was more Wayne on it. I love Moonlight but I wish Wayne did more than a verse.

Comment

zimmie & i the only one's left on this forum with actual working eardrums & a fully developed prefrontal cortex.

Comment

it's a good album

chainz impressed me a lot with putting this album together

i thought it would be a lot worse so maybe thats why i appreciate it more

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmie View Post
                    this album was hugely disappointing between the cover art, the production, songs choices and most noticeably the lack of chemistry between chainz and wayne

on CG1 wayne was rapping so hard chainz was struggling to keep up but the chemistry was organic and carried the entire project from intro to outro
                    this album on the other hand is a slap together job that barely sticks together on so many occasions wayne sounds sleepy af and chainz is carrying a lot of the songs which is wild to say after such a long ass delay youd think this album would be sharpened to a T but it was so clearly pushed out the door it has me wondering wtf both of them have been doing all these years

PPA, Cant Believe You, Oprah and Gayle

these were the standard and what i thought we would get across the whole project great beats cohesive song structures with mature and elegant lyricism from both but it was a few standout moments amongst so many lazy forgettable and clusterfck songs

G6, Bars, Shame , Presha

these songs are good but could have been better but are tolerable and i can consider some of the more standout records on the record on the merit of them sounding cohesive coherent and like wayne + chainz actually giving a fuck

long story short - was the most recent session AMAZING beat and yet wayne doesnt lock in at all but mumbles half asleep on it reusing some random freestyle that barely fits into the vibe of the song so disappointing to say the least but it has grown on me on the merit of the beat sounding so fckin good and the hook being reasonably catchy

crown snatcher - sounds like a funeral leftover i you can hear the corny new age attempted flow all over the song that wayne been struggling to shoe horn into his catalogue since 2019​

significant other - beat switch makes no sense a beat switch should compliment the overall listening experience the switch here is jarring and both wayne and chainz are on completely different vibes it sounds like chainz just copied and pasted some random Funeral leftover onto the song and called it a day

godzilla - a song with so much potential but wayne goes for 30 seconds? why?? the song just fizzles out into nothing did no one hear the bag he was in and think to extend it? it sounds like again some random wayne leftover demo that chainz put himself on it doesnt amalgamate into anything impressive

big diamonds - who the fuck thought to put this dusty ass song on this album and more so barely change it besides remove half of waynes contributions and shoe horn 21 savage of all people on this busted ass underbaked ass beat /song

million from now - banging beat and chainz floats all over it then we get waynes verse which is jumbled messy incoherent and worst of all sounds so poorly mixed it sounds like it was recorded on a laptop mic in a bedroom somewhere

Transparency - boring 2010s sounding ass single with a a verse from wayne that goes for 4 seconds and i dont even remember chainz contributions

Crazy Thick - just boring

the whole album reeks of a slap together job similar to the way NC3 felt like random funeral sessions copy pasted on released beats its forgettable and lacklustre as a listening experience they keep telling us wayne spends 90% of his time recording but the material doesnt show it i dont deny that he is because its not my place to say but if his in the studio 24hr maybe he could spend i dont know a week ensuring the final product that somes out sounds cohesive..... and good? lol

random points
                    - the 50 cent skits were a cool novelty for the promo but on the project itself they are pretty annoying and break up the flow of the project as opposed to adding to it
                    - no back and fourth songs​
                    nothing for moonlight???????

Dont get how you dont like the production most of it is what youve been asking for. Alot of your criticism is unfair but you already know that
                    Don't get too high to look over blessings

Comment

Ahh well I enjoyed it anyway......

Comment

Carter 6 will be what you want.

Comment

Working...
                        X