No announcement yet.

so the beats are responsible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are the beats not responsible for every rapper??

Comment

Originally posted by sealneaward View Post
      Big K.R.I.T's beats are classic southern beats that he makes himself. His beats aren't trap at all.

Comment

Originally posted by no_tom&jerry View Post
        i don't knowwwwww...proof is in the pudding i say. listen to the songs on d5... do you think it's an accident that the most classic weezy sounding tracks use old mid-tempo hip hop beats and not trap beats? it's like he just comes alive on the old school ones, he's got more space to put his words and seems more comfortable with the flow. it fits his laid back stoner persona - the trap beats make him sounds like a crackhead sometimes, hopping from subject to subject.

there's a line on one of the d5 songs where i always think "this is a perfect example of weezy getting better". granted, it's on the track with the cell phone line, lol, but whatever. he goes "got two choppers, that's chopsticks" - okay. now, in recent history he might have ended the line there, which would've caused a lot of groans... but he proceeds to say "eat your block up like shrimp fried rice" or whatever he says. now THAT makes it a good line. it was a little meh before that, but he added a second thought which is WHAT HE HAS BEEN MISSING! the shrimp fried rice line is the weezy wit and genius we all fell in love with!

i point to that line, and think of hte difference in his lyricism, vs kanyes, w that sweet and sour line,

good wayne has layers to his wordplay

Comment

I really want them to remaster D5 and release it how they feel. But get the fuckin' right beats, Banger. Goddamn.

Comment

honestly thought OP was reaching

but i read it and it actually makes sense and one of the better new threads around here

good shit OP and I agree for the most part

wonder how Like Father Like Son 2 turns out and that track with Busta/Q-Tip/Kanye, has possibility of being a classic

Originally posted by back on my bullish*t View Post
            are the beats not responsible for every rapper??
            no

soulja boy will be ass regardless

Comment

anyone else notice how on d5 when wayne goes over an old school beat (and not one of these new ultra slow, skittish trap beats) his flow comes back? could it all just be a matter of beats this whole time?! think about it...

C4 - hip hop beats were becoming much slower, yet hadn't gone full electronic trap style yet and weezy responded with a super slow flow that put a lot of us fans to sleep. almost like it was going so slow he couldn't make that many dope lines anymore.

D4 - beats were now officially different... instead of rapping too slow, he started to go double time, which made for more excitement, but also made it seem more random and crazy without giving him enough time to ever stick to any punchline at length. but wait.. green ranger (an OLD beat) brings back his OLD flow (kind of)

IANAHB2 - the D4 style continued, but worsened. his voice became really grating and his voice continued going up at the end of every bar instead of down. more like questions than comments.

D5 - suddenly it all becomes clear on beats like cream, fuckin problems, you song, started, still got, etc. his old flow came back! seriously, some of these sound like D2/DD3-era weezy and yall cant deny that. especially cream, fuckin problems and you song. he even slips in some skateboard and pussy lines that would sounds corny elsewhere, but they sound dope! he needs that extra space for his delivery because that's what he was trained on! then the next track is a super modern beat and BAM! we get the same problems back again. although i gotta admit he is doing better on the new beats now than he has before (see: levels) it's still quite a phenomenon.

so here's my theory: mid-tempo hip hop beats are weezy's comfort zone. he has not fallen off, he just has more words than he can fit into a foreign new beat. he wants to be at home on the beat so badly but it just aint him sometimes. i just wish he would stick to his comfort zone.
              He fuckin went crazy on Rolling in the Deep so idk what youre saying..

Comment

I agree! One of his best post prison moments! And was rolling in the deep a trap beat? NO. It was a mid tempo rock beat, closer to a standard classic hip hop than trap, that's for sure

Comment

I agree! One of his best post prison moments! And was rolling in the deep a trap beat? NO. It was a mid tempo rock beat, closer to a standard classic hip hop than trap, that's for sure

idk if it has anything to do w a classic hiphop sound or anything,

but on trap beats, that blunted delivery became the norm, so he slowed down all the way to that,

but for me, he'd already been slowing down since i feel like dying.

really think it has to do w an audience thing, during the i feel like dying times, i think it was a white people thing.

waynes pretty hard to understand if you arent used to rap, then along w all the metaphors, and wordplay, he becomes damn near undecipherable.

so he had to slow down, and dilute his style, to make his music more accessible.

on dedication 5, i thnk hes less worried about that accessibility, and raps at the pace of his thoughts again, which is pretty refreshing.

always thought wayne was animal tho, very literally,

depending on the beat you feed him, you can get any range of results, but theres certainly a wheelhouse, where his quality improves, and he steps up...

remindsme of the making of the jay roc video.. where he talks about hearing the beat, and knew he had to be serious about it..

Comment

Originally posted by YM Salute View Post
                    no

soulja boy will be ass regardless
                    im talkin about relevant rappers who take rapping seriously

Comment

was honestly thinking this yesterday, it seems he does better on old beats

Comment

yes the beats make the difference. as a songwriter u get the beat n u gotta write the song adapted to the beat. no other way cuz your flow would't fit in the rhythm. I think d5 is dope af but u right, sometimes it seems he cant use his potencial cuz the beat changes too often, or is too fast or whatever.

ayyyyeee keep it real.

Comment

Originally posted by mode View Post
                          idk if it has anything to do w a classic hiphop sound or anything,

but on trap beats, that blunted delivery became the norm, so he slowed down all the way to that,

but for me, he'd already been slowing down since i feel like dying.

really think it has to do w an audience thing, during the i feel like dying times, i think it was a white people thing.

waynes pretty hard to understand if you arent used to rap, then along w all the metaphors, and wordplay, he becomes damn near undecipherable.

so he had to slow down, and dilute his style, to make his music more accessible.

on dedication 5, i thnk hes less worried about that accessibility, and raps at the pace of his thoughts again, which is pretty refreshing.

always thought wayne was animal tho, very literally,

depending on the beat you feed him, you can get any range of results, but theres certainly a wheelhouse, where his quality improves, and he steps up...

remindsme of the making of the jay roc video.. where he talks about hearing the beat, and knew he had to be serious about it..
                          i def understand what you're saying, but he really didn't slow anything down after ianahb1, sorry 4 the wait and c4 (my 3 least favorite weezy efforts). d4 and ianahb2 he was rhyming pretty fast (especially d4) and just tossing out some crazy wordplay - unfortunately a lot of it was too sex obsessed and a little childish at times. still enjoyed d4 tho. ianahb2 not as much, just a few key trax.

also, i don't think the "i feel like dying" period was diluted in any way. that was c3 sessions, arguably his lyrical peak! i think he went slow on that beat, because he was just fucked up on syrup and weed and decided to do something a little unusual and chill (kind of like he did on lollipop) because feeling it at that moment. it wasn't even really a rap song - again, like lollipop. he was all about transcending rap at that time, yet he was still pumping out some of the best rap that's ever been recorded IMO - and i would guess in the opinion of most of yall here on the forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X