I noticed something about C5...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I noticed something about C5...

On C5, out of 23 songs there is only ONE TRACK that doesn't have a hook: Open Letter. Even if it's only a repeated phrase or part (Open Safe, Dedicate, Hittas... Mona Lisa has like 2.5 hooks in no real order, lol) it's weird that Open Letter is the only track that has a formless freestyle approach.

On C4, right out of the gate you had Intro, Megaman, 6'7, Nightmares from the Bottom ... 4 out of the first 5 tracks were hookless, probably because A Milli had been such a big hit.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting because it sort of further proves my previously stated point: Studio Weezy is possibly superior to "Mixtape Weezy"* in 2018. That's not to say Mixtape Weezy ain't dope, because he still is, but I think he is taken more seriously these days as an artist when he makes proper "songs" (ie. with hook)

I also think it's very telling that the only real freestyle track on the album (Open Letter) is arguably the deepest, most depressing track. New levels of maturity for sure.

What do y'all think? Anyone else notice this?

*I know Mixtape Weezy doesn't necessarily always mean it's on a mixtape; it's the way he's thinking, rhyming, whatever.
    Last edited by no_tom&jerry; 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM.

Reach for the stars

Comment

didn't really notice until you mentioned it but the album concept seems to make sense it would have more 'conventionally' structured tracks

Comment

how did you notice this lol??

Comment

Very interesting

Comment

i am sure there is more than one track without a hook

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer View Post
              i am sure there is more than one track without a hook
              nope. Not a one. Of course you got songs like Uproar, used 2, dedicate, etc which have just a repeated phrase, so we will count that as a hook because it pretty much is.

In terms of wayne just freestyling over a beat with nothing to report to, Open Letter is the only one.

Comment

Originally posted by no_tom&jerry View Post
                On C5, out of 23 songs there is only ONE TRACK that doesn't have a hook: Open Letter. Even if it's only a repeated phrase or part (Open Safe, Dedicate, Hittas... Mona Lisa has like 2.5 hooks in no real order, lol) it's weird that Open Letter is the only track that has a formless freestyle approach.

On C4, right out of the gate you had Intro, Megaman, 6'7, Nightmares from the Bottom ... 4 out of the first 5 tracks were hookless, probably because A Milli had been such a big hit.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting because it sort of further proves my previously stated point: Studio Weezy is possibly superior to "Mixtape Weezy"* in 2018. That's not to say Mixtape Weezy ain't dope, because he still is, but I think he is taken more seriously these days as an artist when he makes proper "songs" (ie. with hook)

I also think it's very telling that the only real freestyle track on the album (Open Letter) is arguably the deepest, most depressing track. New levels of maturity for sure.

*I know Mixtape Weezy doesn't necessarily always mean it's on a mixtape; it's the way he's thinking, rhyming, whatever.
                demon is more depressing than open letter

Comment

Originally posted by Waynasite View Post
                  Reach for the stars

Comment

Originally posted by no_tom&jerry View Post

We Need To Sign You To The Team

Comment

most of the songs that do have hooks are different lyrics every time.

Comment

Working...
                      X