No announcement yet.

Official J. Cole Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After the first listen, I'd give the album a 3.5/5 or so.

It's nice, but it sounds a little like Cole is trying too hard for some reason...

Maybe some rappers aren't suited for albums; take Friday Night Lights. That's one of the best mixtapes I've ever heard, 20+ songs and not a single bad one. It's blatant Cole didn't spend months and months redoing songs and stuff...and it's fucking perfect. This album just feels like a varied CWSL; admittedly better, but I don't think another project like this would sound too good.

I'm sure it'll grow on me though.

Oh, and a 3.5 is a 3.5 for Cole. Had anyone else dropped it, it'd have been a 4.5/5.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeezYIsCraaazY View Post
      After the first listen, I'd give the album a 3.5/5 or so.

It's nice, but it sounds a little like Cole is trying too hard for some reason...

Maybe some rappers aren't suited for albums; take Friday Night Lights. That's one of the best mixtapes I've ever heard, 20+ songs and not a single bad one. It's blatant Cole didn't spend months and months redoing songs and stuff...and it's fucking perfect. This album just feels like a varied CWSL; admittedly better, but I don't think another project like this would sound too good.

Oh, and a 3.5 is a 3.5 for Cole. Had anyone else dropped it, it'd have been a 4.5/5.
      True, there is something about Cole that makes you expect just pure awesomeness

I felt the same, but the album really grew on me soo much. I play this shit all day.
      Originally posted by Shake
      Why so negative all the time???

Comment

• Originally posted by WeezYIsCraaazY View Post
        After the first listen, I'd give the album a 3.5/5 or so.

A lot of people said their first listens were underwhelming. Try again, man

Comment

• Originally posted by IceMan View Post
          Cole producing everything by himself <<<

more variety would have been dope, because his flows are mad nice
          exact same thing i was say + i think he's still hungry and humble

hopefully next album he's cocky
          overall i like the album.. only track i skip is the one with miguel

Comment

• I don't think the production is the problem. I mean yea it's not like on Kanye CD / LR era production but it's still good. Like [MENTION=250]Brooklyn[/MENTION] said I think he needs to be a little more cocky and aggresive, or like [MENTION=7009]Cli-City[/MENTION] said he should go for a full concept album maybe.

Comment

• Top 3 album this year for sure.
              Last edited by Gman918; 06-15-2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

• To be honest, after Kendrick dropped GKMC, my expectations for all artist have gotten higher, I mean Lamar making each song a specific part of a story was just mad creative, I was expecting cole to do something like that instead of putting out random songs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brooklyn View Post
                  check ya inbox again
                  Hmu bro.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockstar Wayne View Post
                    Hmu bro.
                    i gotchu

Comment

• Originally posted by KidComet View Post
                      To be honest, after Kendrick dropped GKMC, my expectations for all artist have gotten higher, I mean Lamar making each song a specific part of a story was just mad creative, I was expecting cole to do something like that instead of putting out random songs.
                      GKMC isnt the first concept album lmao
                      Kendrick just knew the cheat code for hip-hop: dope ass lyrics with great flows & banging beats

like why would we put all 5 Truly Yours 3 tracks as bonus? He got a classic 50 hook on there...the song with Jhene is dope...Is She Gon Pop is classic Cole
                      The Truly Yours beats > some of Born Sinner's production
                      THIS AIN'T NOTHING TO RELATE TO.

last.fm || twitter

Comment

• I love the production on this. That's just Cole he gonna sample the fck outta shit and add some drums. it's like KRIT you know what you are gonna get in terms of production but lyrically and conceptually they gonna step it up. Ye can't get a pass for wack lyrics but Cole doesn't for reg cole beats.
                        Mississippi x California x North Carolina

Comment

• Originally posted by Cli-City View Post
                          I love the production on this. That's just Cole he gonna sample the fck outta shit and add some drums. it's like KRIT you know what you are gonna get in terms of production but lyrically and conceptually they gonna step it up. Ye can't get a pass for wack lyrics but Cole doesn't for reg cole beats.
                          The drums are weak as hell on this LP though, KRIT's music at least knocks & has some power behind it

not sure if they fucked up the mastering, but it kinda sounds a bit bland i think
                          THIS AIN'T NOTHING TO RELATE TO.

last.fm || twitter

Comment

Working...
                          X