rock/punk/indie/pop/metal/etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rock/punk/indie/pop/metal/etc

from what i'm seeing most of the threads here are about other rappers, which makes sense and it's cool you guys have got a thread for just about everyone.

i thought i'd make a thread covering other genres (not specific artists; those would probably die quick). anyone else here like rock music, other pop music, or just music that could be broadly covered by that term? i know wayne has occasional proclivities towards rock and roll, and from what i can tell a deep-rooted love for it.

so what rock or pop or metal etc do you like? i'd like to hear your thoughts.

here are a few faves of mine
    prince, nirvana, radiohead, the roots (alright still hip-hop but a great band that can play anything), bob dylan, springsteen, lana del rey, taylor swift, dua lipa, charli xcx (& a lot more pop), my chemical romance (& other 'emo' acts), ramones, guided by voices, nick cave & the bad seeds, motorhead

i can't remember wtf i like but that's a bunch

how bout u?

i grew up on rock music

in fact before rap

but i hate pop, punk, heavy metal music

i dont mind indie

Comment

adele album on repeat right now 87bh

Comment

hell yeah I listen to alot of different genres.. Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd & Anderson Paak are my favorites

sometimes Nirvana, Bob Marley, Santana, Linkin Park and a bunch of other shit too, but I don't like pop music.. I know I said Weeknd but songs like Blinding lights and Take my Breath are just generic and basic to me.. I fuck with his dark music

''They say they want the drugs to stop but imma major setback when my album drop''

Comment

Originally posted by lilwayne-carter View Post
          i grew up on rock music

in fact before rap

but i hate pop, punk, heavy metal music

i dont mind indie
          i'm about the same, i didn't hear any rap for quite some time

probably heard a bunch of classic rock-ish stuff, whatever my parents had, then some typical teenage angsty stuff or whatever was around.

i must have been... 12? 11? when i was really introduced to rap, via (this is aging me lol) sketchy mp3s from limewire or kazaa... some random pac or eminem songs, or like trying to get a friend at school to get me like a burned 50 cent CD-r without the teachers seeing lmao (if you know what i mean, that shit went down like a drug deal)

(and of course my parents didn't like it)

and ever since i've been kinda playing catch-up, and i know i've got a ton of blind spots, hence why i've only recently really discovered weezy (i'd heard him before ofc, on features or the radio)

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by WeezyFan View Post
          hell yeah I listen to alot of different genres.. Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd & Anderson Paak are my favorites

sometimes Nirvana, Bob Marley, Santana, Linkin Park and a bunch of other shit too, but I don't like pop music.. I know I said Weeknd but songs like Blinding lights and Take my Breath are just generic and basic to me.. I fuck with his dark music
          hell yeah, that's a great list. nirvana is literally the reason i picked up a guitar and started making music.

i don't like everything by floyd but Comfortably Numb is one of my fave songs ever

jimi hendrix is fucking incredible. he did shit on his guitar people still haven't surpassed. i semi-recently got an early-ish pressing of Electric Ladyland on vinyl and i got excited thinking maybe it was an OG copy... but it had his obituary/ads for posthumous records in it so it couldn't have been. still dope.

his band was so good too, that drummer is incredible. possibly my favourite thing is seeing the cover of Are You Experienced and being like... those white, English dudes have afros bigger than Jimi's lmao

this reminds me i gotta listen to more marvin gaye and curtis mayfield. i've heard early marvin gaye cuz i like to go through those Motown compilations of #1 hits (god i love Motown, particularly in the 60s)

also, tangentially: i just went on a nostalgia trip and watched all the live shows linkin park did with jay-z... i had no idea what my current-day impression would be but i thought that shit was fire (esp 99 Problems/SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU)

Comment

personally i enjoy all urban music (hip hop, rnb, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by styl_oh View Post
              i'm about the same, i didn't hear any rap for quite some time

probably heard a bunch of classic rock-ish stuff, whatever my parents had, then some typical teenage angsty stuff or whatever was around.

i must have been... 12? 11? when i was really introduced to rap, via (this is aging me lol) sketchy mp3s from limewire or kazaa... some random pac or eminem songs, or like trying to get a friend at school to get me like a burned 50 cent CD-r without the teachers seeing lmao (if you know what i mean, that shit went down like a drug deal)

(and of course my parents didn't like it)

and ever since i've been kinda playing catch-up, and i know i've got a ton of blind spots, hence why i've only recently really discovered weezy (i'd heard him before ofc, on features or the radio)

- - - Updated - - -

hell yeah, that's a great list. nirvana is literally the reason i picked up a guitar and started making music.

i don't like everything by floyd but Comfortably Numb is one of my fave songs ever

jimi hendrix is fucking incredible. he did shit on his guitar people still haven't surpassed. i semi-recently got an early-ish pressing of Electric Ladyland on vinyl and i got excited thinking maybe it was an OG copy... but it had his obituary/ads for posthumous records in it so it couldn't have been. still dope.

his band was so good too, that drummer is incredible. possibly my favourite thing is seeing the cover of Are You Experienced and being like... those white, English dudes have afros bigger than Jimi's lmao

this reminds me i gotta listen to more marvin gaye and curtis mayfield. i've heard early marvin gaye cuz i like to go through those Motown compilations of #1 hits (god i love Motown, particularly in the 60s)

also, tangentially: i just went on a nostalgia trip and watched all the live shows linkin park did with jay-z... i had no idea what my current-day impression would be but i thought that shit was fire (esp 99 Problems/SHUT UP WHEN I'M TALKING TO YOU)
              yeaah Comfortably Numb is a classic, Electric Ladyland too, Hendrix is the goat on the guitar.. and if you're gonna check out more from Marvin and Curtis I recommend 'What's Going On', ' Trouble Man' and 'Superfly'. All classic albums...

this is my favorite Pink Floyd song:

it's a fucking trip when you listen to this on shrooms especially that horror part about 10 minutes in

''They say they want the drugs to stop but imma major setback when my album drop''

Comment

Originally posted by WeEeEeEzZzZyYy View Post
                adele album on repeat right now 87bh
                How is it?

Comment

stevie wonder
                  michael jackson
                  marvin gaye
                  seal
                  george michael

Comment

my pops listened to jazz so I kinda had to listen to that growing up.

Comment

Originally posted by back on my bullish*t View Post
                      stevie wonder
                      michael jackson
                      marvin gaye
                      seal
                      george michael
                      that's a great list. stevie just blows my mind.

like, usually i'm not into singers who are super technically great... unless they've got the songwriting to match it.

like, i could give a fuck about celine dion, i don't care if she can sing in 46 octaves. i don't care if mariah carey or whoever can make the national anthem last for six hours. to me it's like the fastest guitarists, like... sure, that's impressive i guess. you played every fucking note ridiculously fast, i acknowledge that. must have taken a lot of practice, but it doesn't make me feel anything.
                      to paraphrase a quote from somewhere, most of my favourite singers can't sing.

stevie though... absolutely had the songwriting. like, you know that song 'she's gone' from songs in the key of life? holy FUCK, the things he does with his voice, just riffing on basically the title of the song... he basically makes multiple hooks/variations on just one phrase

Originally posted by Lil wayne prezident View Post
                      my pops listened to jazz so I kinda had to listen to that growing up.
                      i actually kinda wish i had that lol

jazz is something that's been hard for me to crack. i know that goes for a lot of people like 'i just can't get into jazz and classical'

i've come to like some stuff, but i'm still not sure i entirely 'get it'. i remember the first time i tried Kind of Blue (Everyone's First Jazz AlbumTM), and just completely bounced off it or zoned out.

Coltrane though, i dug. his sax on A Love Supreme just did things to me. and some joints by thelonius monk, later-era Miles... i love music that incorporates jazz or has, say, 'jazz-like drumming' but actual jazz i still struggle with

but yeah i've still got a lot to dig through... plus there's so many types & eras i'm sure there's something i'll really love

Comment

Old soul music like Luther Vandross =)

Then I went to pop and then fell in love with the art of hiphop =)

Comment

Working...
                        X