Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with recording a rap song!

Holla at ya.
    So.. for a couple of weeks ago i wrote a rap song, but it actually turned out pretty good
    showed it to some of my friends and they liked it. At first it was a remix of "Ink My Whole Body"
    But now i want my own beat to it so my question is, WHERE do i get a good instrumental for my lyrics?
    and how much does it cost? My second question is.. what are some good microphones for recording?
    What kinda softwares do i need?
    I don't know much about recording so please give me sum tips and tricks!
    Last edited by Lil Andy; 03-31-2011, 03:30 PM.

For 20% OFF on Karmaloop.com use repcode: ANDYREP
    Follow me -> twitter.com/lilandus

Re: Need help with recording a rap song ASAP!

alot of thought has to go into it , firstly yeah you definalty want a decent mic !!
    2ndly you want some sort of music editin software personally ide go with adobe audition , there arnt no tricks persay just make sure your vocals are clean an clear and av some compression on them, ide say hit up google and ask as many questions as you can watch some video tutorials and read up as much as you can, then just practice and perfect things hope this helps

Comment

Yeah, i def will watch some videos on youtube!
      do you know of any good mics out there? not to expensive..
      and is FL studio a good program to use when you record music?

Comment

welll for beats, you should go check soundclick.com and search the instrumentals on there. Most of them are for free dl,

Comment

Originally posted by Pestrator View Post
          welll for beats, you should go check soundclick.com and search the instrumentals on there. Most of them are for free dl,
          yeah i did that! i found one i like that is not free, by "Allrounda". i wan't to buy it but damn.. 300$ for exclusive rights? i mean, thats alot of money!
          can't i use the song to rap if its a "lease"? and WITHOUT the ad saying "allrounda"?
          what's the difference of lease with hook and without? ..

Comment

Difference of Lease/Exclusive
            Stars and Up-and-coming Stars buy Exclusives. People just trying to get in the door and play around usually just roll with the free beats. No need to necessarily invest in a beat lease, if you're just testing things out and playing around. If you were trying to make a song for a project, like a mixtape you plan on promoting, then leasing is the best option. Its usually around $30. The lease w/ hook is just the same as a lease, but the producer includes the hook/chorus in the instrumental. When you lease, the instrumental comes w/o the drops (most of the time) or at least it comes with just the usual one in the beginning of the track.

Recording Vocals
            I use FL Studio. That's why my mastering isnt the best. It's geared mostly to producing beats than it is to recording vocals. Mixcraft was a good cheap program some people said they used. I think its around $60, so even if you just wanted to rap for a hobby like me, you can go that route and not break bank. If you REALLY want to be as cost-effective as you can at this stage, try Audacity. It's a free program that does what any other would. You can just put the instrumental in there and go! Remember when you record to just record raw vocals, then apply the mastering effects (reverb, etc)

Microphones

There are some good, USB Condensor mics out there for about $90 bucks. That's a good right, because you'll get a decent quality without breaking the bank. I saw a mic once that connected to a laptop's front audio ports and was focused on recording on-the-go. Check Amazon. It was by Samson and it was only about $40. That's a great entry level kind of mic to get, if you are using a laptop, that way you wont spend a lot of money. In the beginning, before I got the hang of things, I bout a decent little Karaoke mic from wal-mart. The quality recording wasnt too shabby and it was pretty good to get started on. Only $10 out of your pocket, so I think it was worth it for the practice.

That cover it? Anymore questions?

Comment

Thanks man, i def learned alot now!
              when i record should i record in a closet?
              any more tips to a beginner? please post it all!

Comment

jungle beats holla at me

Comment

When your recording the song.. do you like record it WITH the instrumental? or do you just LISTEN to the instrumentals in the headset
                  and just record the VOCALS?

Comment

link suggestions

KrissiO (producer with free beats)
                    youtube.com/theguywiththebeats (my beats are paid licensing)

recording program
                    Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

search microphone in google shopping and there should be cheap ones for recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Andy View Post
                      yeah i did that! i found one i like that is not free, by "Allrounda". i wan't to buy it but damn.. 300$ for exclusive rights? i mean, thats alot of money!
                      can't i use the song to rap if its a "lease"? and WITHOUT the ad saying "allrounda"?
                      what's the difference of lease with hook and without? ..
                      well yea if just dled for free then its gonna be tagged, when you lease it, that means oyu have partial right to the beat and I think the tags will be gone like the Allrounda thing you were talking bout. & bout the hook idk if anything is diff other than the beat coming wiht a hook or without one. But u can rap on it eevn if u just dled it itll just have the tag and you wont be able to perform it or take it to a radio station or get any from it.

Comment

Working...
                      X