What Produces good Lyrics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Produces good Lyrics?

What goes on through the minds of great artist to get there lyrics?
    in my true opinion i think it has to be experience. True Expereince's.

that's where i get mines from.

Re: What Produces good Lyrics?

experience, drugs, inspiration...

Comment

Originally posted by tha_chronic
      (cosign) and Intelligence. So many artists are extremely good with words, wordplay, and/or poetry...and using references to history, current events, media, anything.

-Money
      I never back down. I lay you back down.

Comment

I would like to present One Mic and Stan as examples.

Here we have two conceptually different songs. Nas' draws from common, even cliche, themes (fuck cops, drinking alcohol, guns, etc.), yet manages to present itself in an original and admirable context. Nas' use of his own experiences, a unifying, underlying message, and incredible poetic skill make this song truly special.

Eminem's song, on the other hand, is almost the polar opposite. Rather than presenting his own experiences, Eminem chooses to weave a fictitious, yet enthralling tale which contains classical dramatic plot development. The listener becomes so focused on the story being layed out before them that they nearly forget that it is rich with rhyme.

Overall, "good lyrics" are difficult to define, as one can create them in different ways, as I have demonstrated. In order for a song to be memorable, it must truly excel either auditorily - as in One Mic, where listening to Nas' word choice and rhymes is a veritable aural orgasm - or lyrically, as in Stan, where some poetic effect is sacrificed in order to intensify the meaning of the lyrics. It is ok to take either of these paths; creating a mind-blowingly good sounding song is no less noble than writing a lyrical masterpiece and vice versa; however, both of these areas must be excelled in at least somewhat for the song to be good. A rhyme without meaning is worthless and a meaning not rhymed is wasted.

Comment

i dnt know

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyIsEverything
            Originally posted by tha_chronic
            (cosign) and Intelligence. So many artists are extremely good with words, wordplay, and/or poetry...and using references to history, current events, media, anything.

-Money
            Agree, I like when the song has metaphors and it has some meaning or it is references to current events. But it also gets better with experience..

Comment

I basically just tell stories in most of my songs, at least 85% of them. Stories about girls, drugs, school, crime, and family.

"Welcome to the murder show, I am the motherfuckin host"

Comment

life and hard work

Comment

Originally posted by Patriarch
                  I would like to present One Mic and Stan as examples.

Here we have two conceptually different songs. Nas' draws from common, even cliche, themes (fuck cops, drinking alcohol, guns, etc.), yet manages to present itself in an original and admirable context. Nas' use of his own experiences, a unifying, underlying message, and incredible poetic skill make this song truly special.

Eminem's song, on the other hand, is almost the polar opposite. Rather than presenting his own experiences, Eminem chooses to weave a fictitious, yet enthralling tale which contains classical dramatic plot development. The listener becomes so focused on the story being layed out before them that they nearly forget that it is rich with rhyme.

Overall, "good lyrics" are difficult to define, as one can create them in different ways, as I have demonstrated. In order for a song to be memorable, it must truly excel either auditorily - as in One Mic, where listening to Nas' word choice and rhymes is a veritable aural orgasm - or lyrically, as in Stan, where some poetic effect is sacrificed in order to intensify the meaning of the lyrics. It is ok to take either of these paths; creating a mind-blowingly good sounding song is no less noble than writing a lyrical masterpiece and vice versa; however, both of these areas must be excelled in at least somewhat for the song to be good. A rhyme without meaning is worthless and a meaning not rhymed is wasted.
                  Man neva thought that Im gonna say it but youre damn smart ! Oh Hip-Hop police in kinda of like Stan lol

Comment

Life experiences,knowledge of society and a creative mind as well.
                    Real G's move in silence like Lasagna

Comment

Working...
                    X