"Grateful" is the worst Weezy track in years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Grateful" is the worst Weezy track in years

If you like the sound of "Grateful," fine; but, the lyrics are worthless.

Wayne has been at a career peak of creativity and lyricism with Dedication 5, S4TW2, Tha Carter V (released tracks), No Ceilings 2 and FWA. These have showcased unparalleled literary virtuosity. No one in rap can compete with Wayne's intelligence, on full display in those recent albums and mixtapes.

Even the widely panned "Off Day" actually had far more literary devices packed in than "Grateful," an absolute dud.

I guess some people listen to Weezy for reasons other than his lyrical genius, but for those of us who love to be surprised and delighted by his wordplay, puns, jokes, metaphors, extended rhymes, etc. etc. this song might as well not exist.

Kreston Kent

Author of
    The Literary Genius of Lil Wayne
    #1 Rap Bestseller Amazon Paperback
    #1 Rap Bestseller Amazon Kindle
    #1 Music Bestseller Apple iBooks
    #3 Arts & Entertainment Bestseller Apple iBooks

Originally posted by Kreston Kent View Post
    If you like the sound of "Grateful," fine; but, the lyrics are worthless.

Wayne has been at a career peak of creativity and lyricism with Dedication 5, S4TW2, Tha Carter V (released tracks), No Ceilings 2 and FWA. These have showcased unparalleled literary virtuosity. No one in rap can compete with Wayne's intelligence, on full display in those recent albums and mixtapes.

Even the widely panned "Off Day" actually had far more literary devices packed in than "Grateful," an absolute dud.

I guess some people listen to Weezy for reasons other than his lyrical genius, but for those of us who love to be surprised and delighted by his wordplay, puns, jokes, metaphors, extended rhymes, etc. etc. this song might as well not exist.
    you also said d4 was better than d2 tho...which is widely considered his top 2 mixtape. there might be more lyrical density but it just dont sound good..this sounded good
    Last edited by jhoya101; 09-10-2016, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Not everything has to be technically hard and rhyme schemes and stuff. Sometimes the subject matters

Comment

song has a great sound and great subject matter i mean sure its not as lyrically dense but we got mixtape weezy for that i like when he focuses on a topic and sticks to a sound

#FREEVELVET

Comment

take that anal shit to jail

Comment

Yeah this explains perfectly why I've been OK with what Wayne's been doin. Because I peep all of the shit he says, and that overtakes the lack of "subject matter" (what even is subject matter) or his voice. That's why NC2 is over dope.

And this ain't got any of the lyrical gymnastics, but it has kool lines and shows us where his head is at in this situation. He ain't have to put it in a song, but he did. We needed this. If you mean his worst song technically, that's understandable.

And D4>D2? You mean technically, right?

Lil Wayne, Drake, Chance the Rapper, Skooly, Rich Homie Quan, 2 Chainz.

Comment

Originally posted by 187JoshM187
              All I needed to read

opinion is automatically invalid. /thread
              HAHAHAHA MY EXACT REACTION. d2 is incomparable with d4 in terms of "literary devices". d4 is creatively retarded, d2 is amazingly rewarded

Comment

Originally posted by Shake
                Why so negative all the time???

Comment

I thought I was the only one that did not like the song and that auto-tune intolerable for me.
                  Last edited by uhese1; 03-04-2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

lol while rolf

Comment

Comment

thread title says its wayne's "worst" track when it clearly isnt

Comment

Working...
                        X