X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Ceilings 2 Retrospective

No Ceilings Bisexual,
    that means two

How we feel about No Ceilings 2 looking back at it?

NC2 was a bit of a letdown for me at the time of release i immediately (like a lot of you) compared it to NC1 i feel that this severely impacted mine and everybody else's initial views & reactions to the project as a result i feel that is is massively slept on and i employ you re-listen to i.

In revisiting the project i find myself enjoying it a lot more without those expectations in my mind, as a result i feel i've gained a new perspective and appreciation on the project as a whole.

My initial complaints were that i found the vocal effects and overuse of autotune to be overbearing and a massive hinderance to the quality of the music, but in revisiting the project i have noticed and appreciated different times within the project where vocal effects add a layer of emotion, character and creativity to certain bars & imagery.

Whilst at other times it is undeniable that these are effects are used quite poorly MY NAME IS is a good example of how to much vocal effects ruin a vintage sounding mixtape track this hit and miss throughout the project in terms of mastering/vocal effects was also another obvious and big reason why initial reactions were so poor.

A stand out song for me where i think the vocal effects are used perfectly is on MILLYROCK the echo and autotune add an emphasis and layer of depth to waynes vocals whilst not being overbearing or jarring to listen to.

Removing from that and judging the project in terms of pure rapping skill Wayne does some impressive shit on this tape flows/bars were pretty sharp throughout there weren't many dry/cringe bars on here and there is clearly a lot of passion and energy behind a lot of verses on this that any wayne fan should be able to appreciate to some degree.

- my personal highlights -
    1. IM NICE
    2. WHERE YA AT
    3. BACK 2 BACK
    4. DUCK
    5. MILLYROK

in conclusion, the project is slept on as a result of heightened expectations as a follow up to a classic tape and also hit & miss vocals but i feel that with revisiting the tape you should gain a new perspective this project was just another stop on waynes fiery come back.

#FREEVELVET

the slower songs were the best on this tape

Comment

Originally posted by back on my bullish*t View Post
      the slower songs were the best on this tape
      the ones where he had more control over his voice were the smoothest to listen to but i feel some of the harder songs are pretty great to like millyrock and duck

#FREEVELVET

Comment

I feel like he did too many songs from WATTBA but overall I enjoyed the tape since day 1. The auto tune sometimes was a problem too but there’s still gems on here.

Really shouldve named it something else tho lol

Comment

Originally posted by Blu View Post
          I feel like he did too many songs from WATTBA but overall I enjoyed the tape since day 1. The auto tune sometimes was a problem too but there’s still gems on here.

Really shouldve named it something else tho lol
          100% the NC2 name held it back massively doesn't sound AT ALL like a follow up should have been something entirely different

#FREEVELVET

Comment

Destroyed
            I’m Nice
            No Days Off
            Cross Me
            Live From The Gutta
            Plastic Bag
            Diamonds
            Back 2 Back
            The Hills

all fire

Comment

Tbh this tape still kinda doesn't hit right for me despite some good highlights and it really does come down to the terrible audio engineering. The off-key autotune mixed with the heavy reverb and echo just kill your ears and ruin otherwise great bars (i.e. My Name Is). The choice to use really bad instrumental remakes instead of getting a hold of the official instrumentals was bad as well (i.e. Diamonds Dancing). But I will say this about NC2, I fucking love the dark and ambient atmosphere it has. Maybe it's the beat selection or the artwork or something otherwise but either way I love the dark ambient soundscape this mixtape paints even if it's quality is overall fairly lackluster.
              RawTuneNotACartoon

Comment

I love no ceilings 2... Very underrated.

The hills is my favorite..

Some of other favs :
                Too young
                Poppin
                No days off
                Live from the gutter
                Lil bitch
                Fresh
                Duck
                Diamonds dancing
                Back to back
                Fresh
                I'm nice

Very good tape

Comment

Destroyed is the only song I play from NC2

And yes this shouldn't have been the sequel to NC. If it had a different tittle it would've probably been more appreciated. But hard when you know this was the follow up to NC1
                  Last edited by Weezyaveli; 08-05-2019, 01:06 PM.
                  #FreeColleGrove2

Comment

You make some good points, but I still think NC2 is a total failure. Look at some of the songs that were released or recorded in 2015(songs like smuckers,deep,I ain�t gonna lie,glory,Ether,Hollyweezy and probably more I forgot about )
                    except Destroyed I don�t think there is even one song near that level. If he would�ve been use his regular voice (and maybe picking some other beats could help) instead of just screaming with the auto-tune turned on maximum , it could be a great mixtape.
                    But on the other hand, I don�t think its such a bad project as some people say.
                    OG C5 Songs Cover Art:
                    https://imgur.com/a/SIqQ5GK

Follow Me On IG:
                    https://www.instagram.com/gfx_by

Comment

If he would have named it something different people would like it more.

Tape is dope, I still play a lot of it

Comment

Was just a different vibe to what people were expecting I think. If it was mixed better or whatever then there'd be nothing wrong with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X