Retiring from the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retiring from the forum

"Wassup fam? I'm sure a lot of you won't give a shit about this, but nonetheless, I wanted to write this as a personal goodbye to the forum.

I spent a lot of time on this forum over my teens and early 20s and have a lot of fond memories with all of you, especially leading up to the C5 release between 2014-2018. There was a lot of great speculation, a lot of great releases (SFTW2, NC2, FWA, CG1, D6, In Tune We Trust), and moments. Although it was turbulent and difficult for us to estimate what direction Wayne's career was going, it was exciting 'cause Wayne was focused, mature, and ambitious, and it showed itself through the music.

When C5 finally saw the light of day, it was an awesome time to be a fan, hearing Wayne's music around town Wayne getting his flowers across hiphop as the GOAT and cementing his legacy through a mature, grounded, but creatively diverse album. this would have been an awesome retirement spot but I was beyond hopeful and excited to see what Wayne's late career had in store. So when Funeral dropped in the state that it did, I was pretty let down. But still, I saw some shining examples between the mediocre songs. I was confident that with a bit more focus and attention, he could release something on par with C5 again. I mean, we had 8 years of album material he couldn't release, and he's in the studio 24/7, right?

No Ceilings 3: NC3 dropped, and it was sloppy and rushed. But again, I excused it because the looming threat of 10 years in jail was present, which would explain Wayne's lack of focus on the project.

Trust Fund Babies: Rumors emerged Wayne was releasing a collab album with... Rich the Kid? Wait, what? What about 'I Can't Feel My Face'? What about T-Wayne? Or the Drake & Wayne album? But okay, after ruminating, I eventually accepted it and anticipated to see where it would go. Compared to others here, I didn't mind RTK too much due to him collaborating with other artists I listened to before, and at the time, he had some decent singles out. The project dropped, and shocker, it was bad... but it had a couple of keeps (Feeling Like Tunechi & Trust Fund).

Collegrove 2: Accepting that for what it was, we had known Wayne was working on a project with 2 Chainz, which was started in 2019 and was worked on consistently throughout the COVID lockdowns and still hadn't seen the light of day. A snippet released, 'LALALA', that sounded amazing. Wayne sounded focused again and energetic, and the song sounded good. I was hopeful that this would reflect on the project itself and be where Wayne would return to a focused, coherent vision again. I mean, 2 Chainz's last few releases were mature and featured amazing production and execution. Finally, Collegrove 2 released, and wow, was it a letdown. It sounded rushed? How Wayne and Chainz had been working on this project for almost 5 years at that point, and it came out in the state it did? This was a big shock to my system as a Wayne fan. That 'LALALA' snippet was one single gem amongst so much mediocre, boring-sounding songs, and the only song I ever revisit. But I overplayed the snippet. Wayne barely participated in the marketing for the project, and he sounded and appeared so disinterested in this project, and it showed in how sloppy the album itself sounded.

The Fix Before the Six: In the midst of this, Wayne released 'The Fix Before the Six', which was his first solo commercial release since FUNERAL that was meant to get us excited for C6, and my god, was it bad... and sad. KatFood flopped. The project had ridiculous moments like 'Birds' and sloppy moments like 'Slip' hook. It sounded bad and not very promising relating to Wayne's future releases. From this album, I kept nothing and haven't felt compelled to return to it.

In the midst of everything listed here, Wayne seems more detached and unfocused than ever regarding his career ambitions. Constant boring sport show appearances, lazy performances, a complete disregard for his appearance, and just overall incoherence that makes tracking and following his career more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. The only thing holding it down for me is a few great features, but it's just not worth going out of my way to chance whether a feat will be good or another distorted, scattered, unfocused mess. There is no excitement or energy in Wayne anymore, and the only time I see him even slightly excited about something, it's sports or skating-related. It's just agonizing to be a fan at this rate because I never got into Wayne for his skating or sports analyst shit. I listened to him 'cause he was my fav rapper.

The most important point I want to make is regarding the terrible, terrible engineering and production value. I've beaten you all over the head talking about this, but felt the need to finally make a point of that here. The music itself sounding creatively void and sloppy isn't assisted in turn by the audio quality sounding the way it does. It hurts my ears to listen to and makes Wayne sound like a SoundCloud artist who is trying to make a come-up.

I've sat patiently waiting for Wayne to have a '4:44' moment or just have an album that sticks to his core sound and appeases the fans that he has remaining, similar to other legends of the game such as Eminem, Kanye West, Jay Z, Nas, etc. But instead, he chases trends in such sloppy ways and attempts his hardest to be a Young Thug clone whilst also not leaning into anything that makes Young Thug appealing to people in the first place. One good thing that's happened since this tragic fall-off is that Wayne's old stuff sounds better than ever for me. Projects I was so/so on growing up, such as IANAHB2 and D4, give me a lot of joy to revisit now. A tape like NC2 sounds like a masterpiece to me now as well. I have a lot to still enjoy from Wayne, but his stuff is becoming less and less worthy of tapping into.

Because of all the above, I don't think Wayne's music is for me anymore, and that's fine. I don't want to keep logging on here and raining on the parade of the few people who get enjoyment from his music still, and I feel my critiques and suggestions aren't really going anywhere productive anyway. Logging on here is boring at best for me and stressful at worst. I may revisit if C6 is an album that exceeds expectations and restores the feeling, but if I listen and it doesn't click for me, I'll save myself and you the trouble of writing messages on here and arguing with stans about how I feel about Wayne's current career.

I would encourage the stans on here to branch out and listen to new music 'cause hip-hop is more diverse than ever, and there's a lot of great music still being made and coming out.

Thanks for the memories and good times <3."
    ā€‹
    reviews of albums/tapes over recent years
    https://forum.lilwaynehq.com/lil-way...iocre-sidestep
    https://forum.lilwaynehq.com/lil-way...rwhelming-mess
    https://forum.lilwaynehq.com/lil-way...ii-the-defence
    https://forum.lilwaynehq.com/lil-way...funeral-deluxe
    https://forum.lilwaynehq.com/lil-way...ows-of-funeral

#FREEVELVET

Good luck.

Which rappers do you listen to in 2024?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmie View Post
        "Wassup fam? I'm sure a lot of you won't give a shit about this, but nonetheless, I wanted to write this as a personal goodbye to the forum.

I spent a lot of time on this forum over my teens and early 20s and have a lot of fond memories with all of you, especially leading up to the C5 release between 2014-2018. There was a lot of great speculation, a lot of great releases (SFTW2, NC2, FWA, CG1, D6, In Tune We Trust), and moments. Although it was turbulent and difficult for us to estimate what direction Wayne's career was going, it was exciting 'cause Wayne was focused, mature, and ambitious, and it showed itself through the music.

When C5 finally saw the light of day, it was an awesome time to be a fan, hearing Wayne's music around town Wayne getting his flowers across hiphop as the GOAT and cementing his legacy through a mature, grounded, but creatively diverse album. this would have been an awesome retirement spot but I was beyond hopeful and excited to see what Wayne's late career had in store. So when Funeral dropped in the state that it did, I was pretty let down. But still, I saw some shining examples between the mediocre songs. I was confident that with a bit more focus and attention, he could release something on par with C5 again. I mean, we had 8 years of album material he couldn't release, and he's in the studio 24/7, right?

No Ceilings 3: NC3 dropped, and it was sloppy and rushed. But again, I excused it because the looming threat of 10 years in jail was present, which would explain Wayne's lack of focus on the project.

Trust Fund Babies: Rumors emerged Wayne was releasing a collab album with... Rich the Kid? Wait, what? What about 'I Can't Feel My Face'? What about T-Wayne? Or the Drake & Wayne album? But okay, after ruminating, I eventually accepted it and anticipated to see where it would go. Compared to others here, I didn't mind RTK too much due to him collaborating with other artists I listened to before, and at the time, he had some decent singles out. The project dropped, and shocker, it was bad... but it had a couple of keeps (Feeling Like Tunechi & Trust Fund).

Collegrove 2: Accepting that for what it was, we had known Wayne was working on a project with 2 Chainz, which was started in 2019 and was worked on consistently throughout the COVID lockdowns and still hadn't seen the light of day. A snippet released, 'LALALA', that sounded amazing. Wayne sounded focused again and energetic, and the song sounded good. I was hopeful that this would reflect on the project itself and be where Wayne would return to a focused, coherent vision again. I mean, 2 Chainz's last few releases were mature and featured amazing production and execution. Finally, Collegrove 2 released, and wow, was it a letdown. It sounded rushed? How Wayne and Chainz had been working on this project for almost 5 years at that point, and it came out in the state it did? This was a big shock to my system as a Wayne fan. That 'LALALA' snippet was one single gem amongst so much mediocre, boring-sounding songs, and the only song I ever revisit. But I overplayed the snippet. Wayne barely participated in the marketing for the project, and he sounded and appeared so disinterested in this project, and it showed in how sloppy the album itself sounded.

The Fix Before the Six: In the midst of this, Wayne released 'The Fix Before the Six', which was his first solo commercial release since FUNERAL that was meant to get us excited for C6, and my god, was it bad... and sad. KatFood flopped. The project had ridiculous moments like 'Birds' and sloppy moments like 'Slip' hook. It sounded bad and not very promising relating to Wayne's future releases. From this album, I kept nothing and haven't felt compelled to return to it.

In the midst of everything listed here, Wayne seems more detached and unfocused than ever regarding his career ambitions. Constant boring sport show appearances, lazy performances, a complete disregard for his appearance, and just overall incoherence that makes tracking and following his career more of a chore than an enjoyable experience. The only thing holding it down for me is a few great features, but it's just not worth going out of my way to chance whether a feat will be good or another distorted, scattered, unfocused mess. There is no excitement or energy in Wayne anymore, and the only time I see him even slightly excited about something, it's sports or skating-related. It's just agonizing to be a fan at this rate because I never got into Wayne for his skating or sports analyst shit. I listened to him 'cause he was my fav rapper.

The most important point I want to make is regarding the terrible, terrible engineering and production value. I've beaten you all over the head talking about this, but felt the need to finally make a point of that here. The music itself sounding creatively void and sloppy isn't assisted in turn by the audio quality sounding the way it does. It hurts my ears to listen to and makes Wayne sound like a SoundCloud artist who is trying to make a come-up.

I've sat patiently waiting for Wayne to have a '4:44' moment or just have an album that sticks to his core sound and appeases the fans that he has remaining, similar to other legends of the game such as Eminem, Kanye West, Jay Z, Nas, etc. But instead, he chases trends in such sloppy ways and attempts his hardest to be a Young Thug clone whilst also not leaning into anything that makes Young Thug appealing to people in the first place. One good thing that's happened since this tragic fall-off is that Wayne's old stuff sounds better than ever for me. Projects I was so/so on growing up, such as IANAHB2 and D4, give me a lot of joy to revisit now. A tape like NC2 sounds like a masterpiece to me now as well. I have a lot to still enjoy from Wayne, but his stuff is becoming less and less worthy of tapping into.

Because of all the above, I don't think Wayne's music is for me anymore, and that's fine. I don't want to keep logging on here and raining on the parade of the few people who get enjoyment from his music still, and I feel my critiques and suggestions aren't really going anywhere productive anyway. Logging on here is boring at best for me and stressful at worst. I may revisit if C6 is an album that exceeds expectations and restores the feeling, but if I listen and it doesn't click for me, I'll save myself and you the trouble of writing messages on here and arguing with stans about how I feel about Wayne's current career.

I would encourage the stans on here to branch out and listen to new music 'cause hip-hop is more diverse than ever, and there's a lot of great music still being made and coming out.

ā€‹
        I'll miss you Zimmie.

Comment

damn bruh i'll miss ya posts
          you been a real one

Comment

Originally posted by Zimmie View Post

ā€‹
            i said i might retire but y'all know i be high

Comment

Wat About Gudda Fans

Comment

Peace out fellow Wayniac.

Comment

and I just signed up šŸ˜©

Comment

Iā€™m sad to see you go Zimmie

Comment

Sums up to a T my thoughts as well. I get where you're coming from and it doesn't come across negative or gloomy at all, it's all valid criticism. I've been in the same boat for a long while too, pretty much the reason why I stopped dedicating my limited adult free time towards doing single artworks, solo edits, and just general forum banter. The most involved I am nowadays is replying to the elimination game thread on the Discord lol. It's pretty clear Wayne's music has sonically taken a nosedive and he's not the instrumental chameleon he once was anymore. I know this is gonna come across brash and maybe cringey, but it's hard to get excited for new solo drops when they all sound like he ripped a "type beat" off Youtube and decided to add some run-on verses about his sexcapades. It at least came across more comical and clever during the IANAHB2 days. This forum and the community will always have a special place in my heart too, crazy I've known some of ya'll on here for over a decade now! But yeah, I think a lot of us veteran members have come to this same conclusion on Wayne's music and you just articulated it perfectly. You were always a real one man and we all had some great times on here! I don't mean to sound like I'm hijacking this post either, I truly don't, but I been thinking about it for a hot minute too and I think I'll be joining you. So on that note, I'm out as well - thank ya'll for everything and all the great memories!
                      RawTuneNotACartoon

Comment

This is sad and I blame Mack Maine for it all.

Dear Mr. ImTooGoodToDropAnAlbum

Comment

Working...
                        X