This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ABjerg View Post
    Well come on bruh, the movie is titled Date Night of course it has some romance. What's the problem with it though it's the most common thing on earth and you'll find it in almost every movie in every genre. Also, almost every great Carell-movie is romantic - 40 year old virgin, crazy stupid love etc.
    But imo it wasn't much, a few classic short scenes talking about their relationship, and I don't think I spoil anything by saying it has a classic romantic happy-ever-after ending, as so many of these type of movies have.
    There's a movie titled Date Movie but has nothing to do with dates or romance xD

I don't think this film or 40 year old virgin is a real romance movie.. Romance movies for me are those with Richard Gere/Julia Roberts aka Pretty Women type of movies, those are dumb ones.. But since Steve's in this one, and since it's not full of romance i'll give it a try..
    Thanks.

Comment

• Fuck, A.I. might just be the most thoughtful and provocative film ever made.

Spielberg's only great film -- and boy is it great. It's verging on the greatest.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkoMaxX View Post
        There's a movie titled Date Movie but has nothing to do with dates or romance xD

I don't think this film or 40 year old virgin is a real romance movie.. Romance movies for me are those with Richard Gere/Julia Roberts aka Pretty Women type of movies, those are dumb ones.. But since Steve's in this one, and since it's not full of romance i'll give it a try..
        Thanks.
        The Scary movie guys made that though...

It's just a parody of romance movies.
        .................... ....................

Comment

• Originally posted by Flame Beats View Post
          The Scary movie guys made that though...

It's just a parody of romance movies.
          I know, I watched it.. I'm just saying

Comment

• Originally posted by WeezYIsCraaazY View Post
            Fuck, A.I. might just be the most thoughtful and provocative film ever made.

Spielberg's only great film -- and boy is it great. It's verging on the greatest.
            You only say that cause Kubrick was involved and you are a Kubrick dickrider.

But seriously bruh, stop with that "Spielberg's only great film" smh. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park are all great movies. And btw, Minority Report>>>>>A.I. when it comes to Spielberg doing Science Fiction.
            Last edited by ProBitaz.; 04-24-2013, 10:11 AM.

Comment

• Oblivion is a Sci-Fi gem.

Comment

You only say that cause Kubrick was involved and you are a Kubrick dickrider.

But seriously bruh, stop with that "Spielberg's only great film" smh. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park are all great movies. And btw, Minority Report>>>>>A.I. when it comes to Spielberg doing Science Fiction.

Nah, Minority Report and Close Encounters fall near greatness (meaning they are very good.) But Schindler's sentimentalises the Holocaust, Jurassic Park is a kiddie horror flick with no depth (just good CGI), and Raiders is a simple thrill ride.

Smh @ you for thinking they're good just because they're entertaining.

Comment

Nah, Minority Report and Close Encounters fall near greatness (meaning they are very good.) But Schindler's sentimentalises the Holocaust, Jurassic Park is a kiddie horror flick with no depth (just good CGI), and Raiders is a simple thrill ride.

Smh @ you for thinking they're good just because they're entertaining.
                  Lol.

Well, if the movie was made for entertainment and succeeds that, it's a good movie in my book, like Jurassic Park. I wasn't expecting anything else but a fun, big joyride and that's what I got. Mission accomplished for Spielberg! I'm sure he wasn't trying to do anything else with JP than what we got. And Raiders is not a 'simple' thrill ride bruh ya trippin!

But it's all good. Different person, different view.

Comment

Lol.

Well, if the movie was made for entertainment and succeeds that, it's a good movie in my book, like Jurassic Park. I wasn't expecting anything else but a fun, big joyride and that's what I got. Mission accomplished for Spielberg! I'm sure he wasn't trying to do anything else with JP than what we got. And Raiders is not a 'simple' thrill ride bruh ya trippin!

But it's all good. Different person, different view.
                    What if a movie aims to be bad and it is? Or what if a movie aims to be the greatest of all-time and just falls short of it?

C'mon, son.

Comment

What if a movie aims to be bad and it is? Or what if a movie aims to be the greatest of all-time and just falls short of it?

C'mon, son.
                      That's not what I'm saying, you can't put it like that. To put it extremely simple - for example, if you wanted to make a romantic comedy you're not likely to end out with a finished product looking like a zombie horror movie, right? Spielberg didn't try to create a film with hidden messages, conspiracy theories, and an arthouse filmstyle. He wanted to create a big and entertaining blockbuster, and that was exactly what JP became.

Also, I was only saying all this cause I think your statement about 'entertaining movies can't be good' was the dumbest I ever heard. I have a lot of movies ranked high for entertainment value, they don't have to have a perfect dialogue, an unique filmingstyle or whatever...

Please don't turn into one of those annoying and pathetic film-critics who's never able to watch an entertaining family movie or romantic comedy ever again because it doesn't have every element in the 'holy film-critic handbook'.

well, I'm watching Jurassic Park right now and I fucking love it! Fuck tha haterz
                      Last edited by ProBitaz.; 04-24-2013, 04:00 PM.

Comment

That's not what I'm saying, you can't put it like that. To put it extremely simple - for example, if you wanted to make a romantic comedy you're not likely to end out with a finished product looking like a zombie horror movie, right? Spielberg didn't try to create a film with hidden messages, conspiracy theories, and an arthouse filmstyle. He wanted to create a big and entertaining blockbuster, and that was exactly what JP became.

Also, I was only saying all this cause I think your statement about 'entertaining movies can't be good' was the dumbest I ever heard. I have a lot of movies ranked high for entertainment value, they don't have to have a perfect dialogue, an unique filmingstyle or whatever...

Please don't turn into one of those annoying and pathetic film-critics who's never able to watch an entertaining family movie or romantic comedy ever again because it doesn't have every element in the 'holy film-critic handbook'.

well, I'm watching Jurassic Park right now and I fucking love it! Fuck tha haterz
                        Sure, but what if I disagree with the whole concept of a blockbuster movie entirely? What if I feel it encourages lousy filmmaking (let's face it, the majority of Hollywood blockbusters are trash)? Sure, I was having a joke with you, but it does have meaning.

Take Drive -- people though, by the trailers, that it was the next Fast and Furious. When people got something a lot more existential than that road-rage trash, they got angry, and that was because it wasn't what they thought it'd be. (I think you like Drive, though, right?)

If a deep movie is also entertaining, then of course it's a plus. But there are loads of movies that entertained me (The Batman movies, Se7en, Fight Club), but they are all mediocre at best. Equally, I was bored by The Rules of the Game, but there's no way I could write even a sentence debunking its greatness -- let alone a whole review.

Personally, I don't think criticism is about liking the film or not -- otherwise there can be nothing to evaluate a film against other than your taste, which is a flawed system, anyway, as everyone has different tastes.

And, really, I don't rate films on dialogue or filming techniques, but they do have to offer something other than the usual, which is what most of today's movies are. Really, how is Iron Man different to Thor other than plots and characters?

I hope you don't turn into one of those people who criticise movies based purely on your entertainment levels.

Oh, and I had to laugh at your final comment. :L
                        Last edited by WeezYIsCraaazY; 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• @WeezYIsCraaazY - didn't feel like quoting your post since it would take up too much space and shit so I'll add ya lol.

I like your point of views tbh, I think you explained your side of the story a lot better now which also makes it easier for me to understand.

To answer your last point, no I will not ever turn into someone who base their reviews on entertainment value. Also, usually you go in the opposite direction the more movies you see, and begin to judge movies based on what new and/or inventive that they bring to the moviescreen; instead of judging it by the biggest explosions and best car chases (as we all did at one point lol).

I think you agree with me when I say after so many movies you just watch movies differently now, and there's no way you can change it. I sometimes miss the days where I could put on something like Battle of Los Angeles and actually feel like I just had a great night with an awesome movie.
                          Now I more or less 'study' film, if you can put it like that, focusing on dialogue, camerawork, the overall storyline etc. When I tell my friends I watch movies in that way they think I'm crazy but there's nothing I can do. It just happened...
                          The postive thing about it though is that you learn to appreciate movies more and every little detail they have to offer. Basically you get a lot more out of watching a movie than previously.
                          Last edited by ProBitaz.; 04-24-2013, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X